Spoon University got a behind-the-scenes glimpse at a day in the life at Uppercrust Productions. As we stepped into the quaint, classic French bakery, we were immersed in the smells of freshly baked baguettes and their most famous pastry—the croissant.

The Origin Story

Katrina Lee

Owner Ben Guzick became the owner of Uppercrust at age 27. The bakery began 39 years ago by upstate New Yorker Jaqueline Dufty. “Jackie” was inspired by her travels to bring the classic European integrity and hospitality back to Gainesville. Ben explained that there were no market forces indicating that classic French pastry would be a successful thriving business, but 39 years later, Jackie’s belief that her products were honest and delicious still remains true today.

The Pastries

Katrina Lee

The pastry assortment at Uppercrust ranges from cookies to tartlets, cakes, butter rolls and soft pretzels. But the pastry that reigns supreme here is the croissant. With 24 different flavors to offer, and each croissant having 27 flaky layers, there is a reason that Jeff, the designated croissant baker, makes over 1,000 of these flaky pastries every single day.

Katrina Lee

In the croissant sector of the bakery, there's a sheeter to flatten the croissant dough to exactly 2.5 millimeters thick. A massive 20-year-old walk-in oven is also featured. Jeff has been perfecting the art of pastry for over 4 years, and he showed us each step in the 3-day process of making these classic treats.

Environmental Concerns

Katrina Lee

One question that I wanted to ask at my Uppercrust visit was about food waste. This is a global issue, and I was curious as to how the local Gainesville community is combating this epidemic. Uppercrust takes initiative in their food waste, which adds to the wholesome and honest mission that the bakery upholds. The croissant dough scraps are twirled into rose shapes, baked, and topped with sweet or savory toppings. And at the end of the day, the pastries and bread that are no longer at Uppercrust’s highest standards to sell the next day are donated to the local Bread of the Mighty Food Bank. Uppercrust supports zero-waste food industry values that benefit the community and environment.

Their Impact

Katrina Lee

So if you’re taking a study break at Pascal’s, Maude’s Classic Café, or Concord Coffee, or having a meal at Amelia’s, The Swamp Restaurant, or House of Beer (just to name a few), you will see baked goods courtesy of Uppercrust Productions. Make the choice to select one of their products, because you are supporting a genuinely wholesome and delicious mission. At the end of our bakery tour, Ben said he feels honored and privileged to make special treats for people, and bring today’s fast-paced culture back to its roots.

Katrina Lee