I am always searching and asking around for restaurant recommendations in and around Baltimore, and was oh so lucky that my friends brought my attention to Barcocina on the waterfront of Fell's Point.

Any place that serves a brunch with tacos and bottomless mimosas is bound to be up my alley, but this Mexican-infused menu and contemporary atmosphere continued to exceed my expectations.

pork, slaw, tacos
Julia Slisz

I knew from the moment I walked in that I vibed with this place, based on the set-up and food I snuck a peek at as the waitress went by. (Okay, tbh, I knew I vibed with the place well beforehand, since I read the menu in full detail the day prior). Like any relatively new trendy brunch place, Barcocina offers a range of sweet and savory options, but also a whole list of unique tacos. 

tacos, chili, chips, tortilla chips, corn, guacamole, salsa
Julia Slisz

If you aren't enticed already, Barcocina has a rep for having some of the best guac in Baltimore, which I am willing to defend without even having tried too many other places. The house guac is topped with shredded Oaxaca cheese and a lime-balsamic sauce that is so fresh I swear they must grow avocados in the back.

Speaking of the freshness, the waiters warn you upon arrival that the food comes out as prepared to be as fresh as possible. This is wonderful, except for the fact that I've never been patient enough to wait to snap a pic of the whole spread

sweet, cheese, pancake, syrup, crepe, cream
Julia Slisz

The brunch menu here could be described as classic with a kick and a twist. For instance, the Lemon Poppy Waffles above are the most unexpectedly delicious flavor combo I could imagine. The spiced waffles are topped with fresh grilled pineapple cream and fresh berries, and drizzled with maple syrup.

As you can see, this joint doesn't brand itself with larger than life portions, which I firmly believe just gives you a better excuse to try more than one thing. You might as well go for sweet and savory.

avocado
Julia Slisz

Featured above is the Huevos Rancheros, a pretty typical brunch menu item, but executed perfectly at this Mexican infused restaurant. Once again, this dish was unbelievably fresh and perfectly portioned. The weekend brunch menu contains a few other Mexican savory options including Chilaquiles, Carne Asada y Huevos, and "Hash Brown" Tacos – currently my favorite item on the menu. And as you read this, you can go ahead and order them for delivery right now, here

When I plan a brunch, I have every intention of ordering breakfast food, but the tacos here are pretty tempting. Mushroom Tinga, Moroccan Lamb Shank, and even Cheeseburger are just a few of the tasty options offered. Tacos might not be what you usually crave on a weekend morning, but three bottomless mimosas later, you will very likely thank yourself for that order. 

A fun fact about Barcocina is that it is the only place I've found around Baltimore that offers bottomless brunch (Mimosas, Screwdrivers, and Bloody Marys) on weekdays. I can 10/10 recommend everything I have eaten here and will likely be back soon. 

...and I haven't even checked out their dinner menu yet.