It's hard simultaneously being a picky eater and a foodie. Needless to say, when my mom told me about Bad Saint, a Filipino restaurant with a menu boasting foreign foods I had never heard of, I was a little hesitant.

But, as it was rated the second best restaurant in America by Bon Appétit, I agreed to try it. Read on to hear about why Bad Saint is incredibly worth it.

I won't say that it's easy to get into, but part of Bad Saint's charm is the fact that you can't make reservations and must have the patience to wait in line hours before its 5:30 pm opening to secure one of the sought-after 24 seats. But don't worry if you're impatient or don't have the time to waste, like me, D.C. offers several line-standing services where you can actually pay someone to wait in line for you. 

By the time I arrived at the quaint and humble restaurant (I was only able to tell where it was because of the massive line outside), my line-stander was the very first person on line. And yes, I felt guilty that I hadn't waited myself – but ya gotta do what ya gotta do – and even though it was a  school night, massive amounts of work didn't stop me.

As the first people on line, my mom and I got special privileges. The incredibly friendly staff came outside at exactly 5:30 and my mom and I were escorted into the restaurant. We were allowed to choose our seats and given a full personal run-down of the menu, as the rest of the hungry line watched in jealousy through the window. First-line customers at Bad Saint are treated like royalty. Seriously.

The (seasonally changing) menu when I was there:

Although pretty small, the menu was definitely intimidating. I had no idea what most of the items were and I decided to trust the very helpful waitress. We ordered the "ensaladang ifugao," "pancit molo," "adobong dilaw," and the "sinigang," all of which were different from anything I've ever ate in the best possible way, but below are my personal rankings:

1. Ensaladang Ifugao

salad
Anna Lustig

Although their recipes change frequently, the one I tried had heirloom rice mixed with apples and tamarind vinaigrette, amongst other things (there was definitely some type of delicious crunch in there!)

Characteristic of Bad Saint, I wasn't exactly sure what I was eating, but it was fantastic. This dish came out first, and was gone in 5 minutes flat. By far my favorite.

2. Pancit Molo

soup, chicken
Anna Lustig

Bad Saint's take on dumplings was quite memorable – chicken and shrimp dumplings with annatto and scallions. I've got to say that I'm not usually a shrimp person, but these dumplings were something else. The perfect comfort food when you're in need. 

3. Adobong Dilaw 

garlic, curry
Anna Lustig

Cauliflower, kabocha squash, and turmeric make for a delicious veggie dish, a very welcome break from salad and surprisingly filling.

Although I was unfortunately too full for dessert, Bad Saint's dessert options are as delectable as everything else. I mean, have you ever seen anything like this?!

Needless to say, Bad Saint lived up to the hype and I will definitely be returning soon. There is still so much to try – definitely worth the wait (or paying to get someone to wait for you...).