Fall is one of the most beloved seasons. I blame it on the scarves, adorable decorations and pumpkin spice everything. However, fall is my personal favorite season for another reason. I love the leaves changing to colors you can't find in any crayon box and the smell of the crisp air, especially the trees and leaves found at Apple Hill. I know, I know; I'm nerdy and I'm proud.

cake, beer
Ariel Escalante

Every year, my family and I go on a trip to a place in Placerville, California called Apple Hill. It is actually a trail with many different stops that offer a variety of activities and delicious food (and not just apples). They are open year-round, but it is especially fun during the holiday season. Here are the highlights.

The Wineries 

wine
Ariel Escalante

Apple Hill has a number of wineries. A family favorite is Lava Cap. Even though I don't partake in the drinking part, I do enjoy the view. Plus, it's a perfect place for a nerd like me to do my homework. There is also a brewery called Jack Russell Brewery that has great beer (so my family says), some crafts and food. 

wine, alcohol, beer
Ariel Escalante

The Food and Entertainment

My family usually likes to give the day an unhealthy (but delicious) start with some amazing apple fritters, apple donuts and hot chocolate at High Hill Ranch. Then we move on to Boa Vista Orchards, which has a bunch of different fruit, fresh fruit juice and pastries.

Both of these places and many others on the trail have what seems like millions of arts and crafts vendors, especially around the holidays. My mom and I could look around for hours, but we usually find my dad wandering around waiting for us as it is.

tea, beer
Ariel Escalante

Like many of the locations, Abel's Apple Acres has some nice frozen pastries that you can take home and bake yourself. They also have a bunch of activities for kids including a maze. 

grass, sunflower, vegetable, pasture
Ariel Escalante

The Scenery

So, you've already read that the food is wonderful. But the scenery is absolutely breathtaking too. Even the parking lots are gorgeous.

coffee, beer, tea
Ariel Escalante

Kids Inc. is a cute place with beautiful scenery, which honestly isn't really hard to find at Apple Hill. As the name suggests, there are plenty of kids here, but, if you time it right, it's not too crowded. 

vegetable
Ariel Escalante

Kids Inc. has different types of pumpkins, squashes and gourds for sale, as well as crafts for children to do. They also have a nature trail to explore and a giant hill to roll down...as long as you're unafraid of barreling over some kids on the way down. 

water, pasture, grass
Ariel Escalante

Kids Inc. may be littered with small children that manage to find your picnic blanket and run all over it no matter where you are, but it really is amazing. Look, there's that unbeatable scenery again. 

The "Walkin' Pie"

Ariel Escalante

And, finally, the highlight of our annual trip. That's right, ladies and gentlemen, the "walkin' pie". What's that, you ask? It's a small apple pie turned upside down, covered with a cinnamon, apple cider sauce and topped with vanilla ice cream. It's a heart attack waiting to happen, but it's warm and delicious, so who even cares?

My family hits a good number of stops every year, but there are so many that we have yet to explore. It does get crowded on certain weekends, so it's a good idea to go after Halloween when there are less people.

So if you're looking for something fun to do with the family, by yourself, or just with your dog (which, let's face it, your dog is family anyway), give Apple Hill a shot.