Fried Chicken Festival is back. Our favorite festival relocated from Lafayette Square to Woldenberg Park to accommodate 35 vendors, one cooking demonstration stage, two music stages, and a whole lot more chicken. This year it spanned two days, so you could eat chicken for lunch, dinner, and any snack in between on both Saturday and Sunday. If you didn't make it out, here are 8 of the best fried chicken dishes you missed.

1. Belle’s Diner: War Bird

Patch Rawanghet

You may recognize this sandwich from last year's Fried Chicken Fest recap, and we are so blessed that it came back. The War Bird sandwich was a can't-miss. What went into creating this masterpiece? Chicken, cheese, bacon, honey mustard, and a buttery brioche bun. Sounds so simple, but the flavor was beyond that. The melting cheese left me dreaming about the next annual Fried Chicken Festival.

2. Old School Eats: Fried Bird of Paradise

Patch Rawanghet

If you were looking for something different (something that was not just Southern fried chicken), this was what you needed in your life. The mango and curry glaze blended together so smoothly, giving the fried tenderloins such a unique flavor. The coconut rice and slaw complimented the chicken beautifully, giving a perfect balance to the bold mango curry glaze. 

3. Hattie’s Restaurant: 2 Pieces with Cranberry Coleslaw

Patch Rawanghet

Winners of Throwdown with Bobby Flay, Hattie's Restaurant came to New Orleans all the way from New York. They were not there to disappoint— with only one menu option, you knew it wouldn't let you down. The coleslaw complimented the hot fried chicken so well, and I was sad to finish my plate of food. If you ever find yourself in the North (Saratoga Springs, to be exact) and missing the South, visit their New Orleans-themed shack. 

4. Salt House Catering: Fried Chicken Thighs with Bourbon Brown Sugar Gravy & 2 Sides

Patch Rawanghet

Going back to a classic Southern meal with two sides. For those who are into dark meat and gravy, this dish did not disappoint. The two sides pictured above are Local Smoked Collards and BBQ Boiled Peanut Baked Beans. The BBQ Boiled Peanut Baked Beans could easily win best side dish (in my opinion) because the sweetness was right in the middle of the spectrum– not too sweet, but sweet enough to keep me wanting more.

5. Chicken Box Delicious: Chicken Tender Bites with a Honey Biscuit

Patch Rawanghet

The color of the box was what attracted you to their booth, but the flavor was what made you come back for more. The fun, bite-sized chicken came with a honey butter biscuit at the bottom of the box. Coming from someone who doesn't normally like biscuits, this one was overwhelmingly delicious– you could taste the honey glaze, and the biscuit itself was perfectly crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. 

6. Porter & Luke’s: Fried Chicken Livers with Red Beans & Rice

Patch Rawanghet

If you were done eating chicken wings, thighs, or breast and starting to feel adventurous—this dish may have been for you. Perfectly crisped fried chicken livers loaded on top of red beans and rice gave a whole new perspective on two culinary classics.

7. Willie Mae’s Scotch House: French Fries and Fried Chicken Wings

Patch Rawanghet

I know you've probably heard great things about Willie Mae's Scotch House, so don’t let the long line scare you away. After waiting 20 minutes, I knew the line was worth it as I held that dreamy plate of crispy fried chicken in my hands. Simply put, Willie Mae's knows what they're doing. Also, if you're not into french fries, they had butter beans too.

8. Nola Chef Table: Finger Licking Chicken & Waffle

Patch Rawanghet

If you showed up to the festival with a not-quite-empty stomach but still wanted to try something, this vendor was for you. With a perfectly sized Belgium waffle topped with chicken, cheese, bacon, and onion, you still got the taste of the festival without having to go home with a food baby (unless that was your plan, of course). The jalapeño maple syrup drizzled on top made me question how I've lived my life so long without it. 

Patch Rawanghet

I hope New Orleans' good weather, twelve cooking demonstrations, and the chance to try fried chicken in ways you never knew possible convinced you to add the Fried Chicken Festival to your bucket list. If you couldn't tell, it's one of my favorite food festivals of the year, and I think it should be yours too.