I've always hated the fact that a person's desire to eat solo gets such a bad rap. For some reason, there is this notion that eating solo should be avoided at all costs. If one dares to enjoy a meal sans company, they must do so shamefully, avoiding all possible eye contact.

Personally, I enjoy eating out alone and consider it to be a kind-of hedonistic. What could be better than enjoying a delicious meal without the distracting chit-chat? Admittedly, solo dining can be a little challenging and certain restaurants are better suited for it than others. For that reason, I have compiled a list of my favorite places to eat solo in Austin:

1. Counter Cafe

Counter Cafe's name pretty much says it all. This tiny restaurant, consisting of one long counter, serves an Austin take on classic diner food. With a great view of cooks furiously poaching eggs or flipping burgers, a barstool at Counter Cafe is a logical place for a solo meal. So, the next time you have a hankering for a good, hearty breakfast and realize that all of your roommates are still sleeping off last night's festivities, head straight to Counter Cafe solo.

2. Ramen Tatsu-Ya

Ramen Tatsu-Ya is undeniably the go-to destination for ramen in Austin. I have described their ramen as a religious experience on multiple occasions, and I mean it. Whether you go for the traditional tonkotsu or my favorite — a bowl of Mi-So-Hot — you'll be greeted with a seriously generous bowl of perfectly chewy noodles bathed in rich bone broth.

Equally noteworthy, though, are the optional add-ons that include flash-fried Brussels sprouts, marinated bamboo, and more. While Ramen Tatsu-Ya mainly offers large communal tables when it comes to seating, there's also a long wooden chair-height bar facing the kitchen that's perfect for solo dining.

#SpoonTip: While a warm bowl of ramen may sound less appealing during Austin's scorching hot summer months, Ramen Tatsu-Ya has got you covered. Make sure to stop in for the summer-appropriate spicy chilled ramen that is a light, refreshing take on the classic soup. 

3. Komé

With bar seating and a view of fish-slicing action, sushi bars make for a comfortable and entertaining place to eat a meal alone. While there are certainly quite a few sushi restaurants in Austin, Komé is definitely my go-to. Although the sushi and sashimi are as well-prepared as some of the other places in Austin, what really sets Komé apart is the comfortable atmosphere and unbelievably reasonable prices.

With most rolls priced around $8 to $10, it really feels like you're getting Nobu quality at gas station sushi prices. Even better, however, are the lunch deals, including the $16 bento box pictured above. So basically, go for lunch, sit at the bar, order the bento box, and slip into a truly self-induced food coma.

4. Poke-Poke

Assuming that you haven't been living under a rock for the last year or so, you're probably keenly aware of the fact that poke is the trendiest food in America by now. Austin, like many of the other big cities, has recently seen its fair share of poke places begin to open up.

Despite the multitude of available options, Poke-Poke, which started in Venice Beach in 2010, is the only place to get the real-deal Hawaiian poke. Unlike other places that serve questionably fresh fish and add an unnecessary assortment of random toppings, Poke Poke sticks to fresh, simple, more traditional poke options. The casual, counter-service spot on South Congress is also a great place to grab a quick, easy lunch by yourself. 

5. Launderette

As one of Austin's hippest, most talked about restaurants, Launderette may seem like an intimidating place to indulge in a solo meal. In reality, this converted East Austin laundromat serving New American/Mediterranean dishes is completely approachable for dining alone.

With a good number of barstools and a great view of the semi-open kitchen, the bar area is the perfect place to tuck into one of the best burgers in Austin. If you really want to go big, make sure to stop in around dinner so you can try Launderette's signature birthday cake ice cream sandwiches, quite possibly one of Austin's most Instagrammable dish.

6. Sway

Sway, located on South First Street, is Austin's foremost destination for modern Thai food. Between Sway's well-executed, updated takes on traditional curries and noodle dishes and the stunning wood-paneled interior, Sway offers an unparalleled experience.

Although Sway is known for its communal dining tables, it's actually an awesome spot to eat by yourself. With various bar seating options, including a large counter overlooking the impeccable open kitchen, it's unlikely that you'll end up being the only solo diner.

7. Elizabeth Street Cafe

Elizabeth Street Cafe, located right across the street from Sway, may be my favorite restaurant in Austin — and it doesn't hurt that it's perfect for dining alone. Between the fresh Vietnamese dishes with French-colonial flair, the beautiful pastries and macarons and the incredibly charming pink-hued atmosphere, Elizabeth Street Cafe is Austin's perfect neighborhood restaurant.

With an addictive line-up of Instagram-worthy pho, banh mi, and buns, this cafe — which accepts no reservations — is especially busy from breakfast through dinner. By dining solo, however, you may be saved from the potentially agonizing wait time. In addition to a large communal table in the main dining area inside, you can also take a seat at the bar or at the adjacent marble top that offers a nice view of the outdoor garden area.

8. Clark's Oyster Bar

Another perfectly conceived restaurant by McGuire Moorman Hospitality (which is also behind Elizabeth Street Cafe), Clark's serves classic seafood dishes in a perfectly preppy, nautical space. While this New England-styled oyster bar has an especially tiny dining room, there is quite a bit of seating that suits a party of one. Between the marble counter in the bar that offers a view of oyster shucking action to the bar stools along the the sunny patio bar, there are plenty of comfortable seating choices. However, the best news has to be the fact that despite Clark's reputation as a tough reservation, all the aforementioned seating options are reserved for walk-ins.