I do hate to say it but even with #2 best food in the country, you can’t eat at Berk or Hamp for EVERY meal…

Amherst, Massachusetts is home to over 30,000 college students with many others near by. While UMass dining tends to be in the spotlight of the western MA food world, Amherst itself offers an assortment of food establishments.

If you’re looking to get off campus and spend the last $15 in your bank account, I’m here to narrow down all your best options in the area for any occasion.

Parent Visit

Amherst

Photo by Kate Cardoza

Ok, this is no surprise I’m sure. Judie’s Restaurant is a unique little gem that has been in Amherst forever (since 1977 to be exact). Amherst is home away from to many college students, and this place is the perfect go-to for a dinner/lunch out with the family. Home to the original pop-over, Judie’s has a quirky yet homey vibe inside and a reputation for making delicious food. There’s something for everyone on their a vast menu including vegetarian and gluten free. Not to mention, the best part about being a broke college kid is that your parents will most likely be paying the bill.

Celebration

Amherst

Photo by Kate Cardoza

Whether it’s a birthday, you passed an exam, or just finished a paragraph of your term paper, Panda East, located at 103 N Pleasant, is the place to go. With large seating areas, a lively atmosphere, and the occasional allowance of the AUX chord to be controlled, it’s the perfect place to have a good time. And besides, who doesn’t love Chinese food? Also, if you’re the legal drinking age, rumor has it their Zombie scorpion bowls are perfect to share with friends (or yourself, you do you).

Date Night

Amherst

Photo by Kate Cardoza

Johnny’s Tavern is nestled in a cozy little corner of Amherst center, located at 30 Boltwood Walk. This place just screams date night, even it’s location is intimate. Inside the lights are dim and the seating consists of mostly little booths and tables for two. It’s the perfect place that’s nicer than your every day restaurant but causal enough to wear jeans. While prices range, they have a great bar selection and nothing that’s going to break the bank. if you’re having trouble on what to order, here’s some tips on what and what not to eat on a date.

Late Night Drunchies

Amherst

Photo by Kate Cardoza

In case you aren’t really feeling Late Night at Berk again, there’s another spot you can check out. So this place is a little obvious but it’s just too good. Open until 1am, Antonio’s Pizza located at 31 N Pleasant, Amherst, has the perfect late night, drunk (or sober), pizza. Sold by slice and a convenient location, you’ll be sure to run into some familiar faces at the end of your weekend adventures. By the way, get the extra slice of pizza, you deserve it. Be sure to stop by after midnight on Friday for the famous $1 slice!

Breakfast

Amherst

Photo by David Turner

Just a quick drive from UMass, Cushman Market and Cafe located at 491 Pine St, Amherst, MA. The decor is quirky and artsy, perfect for that insta worthy food gram. They have a range of egg breakfast sandwiches with everything on them from avocado to onions and a variety of breads, including gluten free (wahhoo). If you’re feeling something a little sweeter, they also have pancakes and french toast. Oh did I mention their coffee options are amazing too?

Sweet Craving

Amherst

Photo by Kate Cardoza

If you have a sweet tooth and looking for something delectable, check out Glazed Doughnut Shop located at 19 N Pleasant St, Amherst. They have a wide range of doughnuts ranging from gluten free, to classic glazed, and fun ones like Maple Bacon. The best part? They make right there in the shop so they’re fresh and warm.

Girl’s Night

Amherst

Photo courtesy of Local Northhampton.com

Okay, so this place isn’t in Amherst but it is close by. When you’re looking to go pig out with your girls, Local, a burger place located at 16 Main St, Northampton, is a must-try. Can’t go wrong with burgers and fries, minus the guys (sorry can’t resist a bad joke) for a night, right ladies? Sometimes it’s nice to be able to eat a cheeseburger in 3 bites, get some ketchup on your shirt, and laugh with your friends. Just make sure to call ahead, I’ve never seen it not busy in there.

Pre-game and the game?

Amherst

Photo by Kate Cardoza

Whether you’re looking to catch the game (Pats, Bruins, Sox etc), grab a beer with a friend, pre-game a little, or have a fun night out, Stackers Pub is it. Located at 57 N Pleasant St, Stackers is your typical sports bar, in a good way, with cheap bar food and a huge bar selection. This tends to be a popular spot for the 21 and over crowd, so be sure to get there early to avoid long lines.