You might recognize the Berkeley Student Food Collective for its large, trademark logo plastered on the window front: the pair of big red lips with its name written across in green. But what is this store, really? Step inside and you’ll find yourself in a tight space lined with shelves of locally sourced, fair trade, non-GMO and organic products. The Food Collective carries a plethora of ethically-sourced produce, products, and on-the-go meals that are often hard to choose among. Need help choosing what to get? These are seven items worth trying out the next time you visit.

1. Mung bean sprout salad

Sarah Fung

This is probably my all-time favorite item here; since discovering the Mung Bean Sprout Salad, I’ve been back for it multiple times. This vegan and gluten-free salad features a seasoned mix of bean sprouts and shredded firm tofu. The sprouts provide a nice, refreshing crunch, while the tofu creates a noodle-like texture. Pepper oil, sesame oil, and other seasonings give the salad a spicy kick.

2. Spinach and cheese samosas

Sarah Fung

These vegetarian bites feature a dense paneer cheese and spinach filling wrapped in a crispy and flaky exterior. The savory samosas are balanced out with a light and syrupy mango-mint chutney sauce that carries both a fruity tang and spicy kick. 

3. To-go meals

Sarah Fung

The Berkeley Student Food Collective’s own to-go options are marked by their logo stamp. These meals are prepared in bulk by student volunteers to reduce food waste and make meals more affordable. Customers can choose what to pay on a scale of $1 to $5. Meals change daily according to what volunteers decide to make, so stop by frequently and check out their new variety of healthy options.

4. Dark chocolate almonds

Sarah Fung

These almonds are coated generously with bittersweet dark chocolate, making it a sweet snack with a crunch. Not a fan of almonds? Choose among the Food Collective's huge variety of other nutty, sweet, and savory snacks, such as crystallized ginger, chocolate-covered raisins, and mixed berry granola.

5. House Kombucha’s Ginger Fire flavor

Sarah Fung

If you’re looking for something with a potent kombucha taste, try the ginger-japaleño kombucha. This bottled variety carries kombucha’s trademark bittersweet, vinegary tang and sharp, natural fizz. The ginger and hot peppers give the fermented green tea an extremely satisfying, spicy kick at the back of your throat.

6. Kombucha on tap

Sarah Fung

Yes, you read that right—the Berkeley Student Food Collective offers kombucha on tap. Simply fill a plastic cup at their station in the corner of the store and bring it to the cashier to pay. The kombucha on tap is sweeter, fizzier, and more reminiscent of soda than typical kombucha. Why not swap your usual fountain drink for a healthier alternative?

7. Bagels and pastries

Sarah Fung

We’ve all had those days when we've rushed to our morning class without breakfast. Next time, grab a quick bite at the Food Collective on your way to campus. Choose among fresh pastries like its deliciously dense and sticky paleo muffins, or scoop and top your own oatmeal at the bar.

Take a quick stop at the Food Collective the next time you're heading down Bancroft and see what this ethically and sustainably-driven store has to offer. Chances are, you'll be back again.