Whether you are living in San Diego or just on vacation, you will almost definitely visit its lovely beaches during prime summer months. The sun is shining, the water is inviting—all that’s missing is a perfect picnic. Luckily for San Diego-ians, there are tons of affordable, delicious and coastal restaurants found in the Finest City in America that make for ideal beach-day eats.

san diego

Photo courtesy of @mandavision on Instagram

1. Board and Brew

san diego

Photo courtesy of @boardandbrew on Instagram

This is not your average sandwich. Board and Brew crafts quality sandwiches using fresh ingredients, to-die-for breads and quality meats. They elevate their food even higher with a delicious sweet and sour secret sauce that tastes good on literally everything. With locations all over San Diego within walking distance of the coast, Board and Brew is a perfect choice to take to the beach.

2. Juice Kaboose

san diego

Photo courtesy of @juicekaboose_official on Instagram

Juice Kaboose has locations in many of the major beach towns in San Diego, including Pacific Beach and La Jolla. They specialize in making gorgeous (and equally delicious) pataya and açaí bowls in many different flavors. Juice Kaboose is a refreshing summertime beach drink option.

3. Taco Surf PB

san diego

Photo courtesy of Erin K. on Yelp

Located on Mission Boulevard in the heart of Pacific Beach, Taco Surf is a convenient beach day choice. On top of the prime location, Taco Surf has great tasting food and hard to beat prices. USA Today and Fox News awarded Taco Surf the title of the Best Burritos in America. And if you make Taco Tuesday a beach day, you can get $2 tacos in an atmosphere that will get you in the mood for a long, hot beach day. How could you not want to ride a wave after eating in a restaurant with surfboards hanging off of the walls and ceilings?

4. The Baked Bear

san diego

Photo courtesy of @thebakedbear on Instagram

If you’re looking for a beach dessert, The Baked Bear is a local San Diego favorite that will not disappoint. Visitors get to create their very own ice cream sandwich by choosing from The Baked Bear’s selection of gourmet ice creams, cookies, brownies, and toppings. You end up with an ice cream sandwich about the size of your face, but you’ll finish every last bite before you even finish walking the few steps to the beach.

5. Pizza Port

san diego

Photo courtesy of @christy_travelinglovebug on Instagram

With multiple coastal San Diego locations, Pizza Port is another local favorite that makes for great beach day eats. The pizzas come in many unique varieties (can you say beer pizza crust?) and the menu is full of shareable, portable food choices. Order it to go for a perfect beach picnic centerpiece.

6. Cheesy Express

san diego

Photo courtesy of @sdfoodandfacts on Instagram

With a big sign advertising “grilled cheese,” Cheesy Express is hard to miss in the heart of Mission Bay and only steps away from Belmont Park. Cheesy Express has elevated the childhood favorite grilled cheese, into a decadent, gourmet food experience—all starting at $3.75. You can build your own or choose from a unique selection of grilled cheeses that you never could have imagined. Grab it to go for a delicious beach day lunch.

7. Better Buzz

san diego

Photo courtesy of @alyssamaywilson on Instagram

Better Buzz is a local San Diego chain known for its incredible coffee. With drinks like the Mint Mojito and Killer Bee, Better Buzz knows how to elevate coffee—and for a good price. Better Buzz also offers a solid menu of food items, including açaí bowls, sandwiches and baked goods. They have locations all along the San Diego coast, making it a convenient and delicious beach day choice.