The new school year is quickly approaching, so here’s your restaurant bucket list for the year. These are the places you just can’t leave MSU without trying: The classics.

These restaurants are more than just food, although that’s a definite plus. They’re about the memories. It’s about going to Crunchy’s on a Tuesday night with your buddies to kick ass in trivia. Or rolling out of bed and going to Beggar’s Banquet Sunday morning with a terrible hangover and a mind full of regrets. Maybe it’s going to Sansu on a romantic first date and realizing sushi isn’t necessarily flattering to eat. Or going to HopCat with your roommates during the week to enjoy a half-off burger and $3.50 local draft beer on the patio. It’s about drinking endless margaritas at Los Tres Amigos before a night out at Ricks. And making the trip to the famous Golden Harvest that everyone’s been talking about.

Whatever it may be, these are the places that you will make memories at. The ones that will always be a part of your MSU experience.

1. Sansu

MSU

Photo by Brittany Cutler

If you like sushi, this place will be like a dream for you. You might even find yourself practically living at Sansu. Their inventive sushi rolls are absolutely to die for. After trying countless sushi restaurants around the area, I always end up coming back to Sansu. Among my favorites are the Caterpillar Roll, Striped Dragon Roll and Mango Passion Roll. In addition to the amazingly delicious food, the service and atmosphere will surely not disappoint. Beware though, you may end up waiting for a table if you don’t make a reservation ahead of time.

#SpoonTip: Check out Sansu’s happy hour weekdays from 4:30 to 6 p.m. and Sunday 3 to 6 p.m. for $5 rolls and drinks.

2. Crunchy’s

MSU

Photo courtesy of crunchyeastlansing.com

Okay, this one is a classic. For 34 years, Crunchy’s has been the go-to place for burgers, beer, and sports. The eclectic atmosphere with writing all over the walls and signed sports memorabilia makes this the perfect spot to enjoy one of their 27 beers on tap and hangout with friends. Oh and watching the horrendously yet funny karaoke singers is a plus too.

#SpoonTip: Don’t forget to try the famous Crunchy Burger, a ½ pound of juicy char grilled meat smothered with American cheese. Yum.

3. HopCat

MSU

Photo by Brittany Cutler

Hopcat has a crazy-cool and lively atmosphere. With the industrial finishing and the paintings of various singers from John Lennon to David Bowie showcased throughout the restaurant, this is a place you won’t forget. This brewpub has a massive beer list including over 100 drafts. You can find anything from Lagers and Light Ales to Ciders and Meads. I actually challenge you to find a beer that they don’t have. In addition to drinking way too much beer, make sure to leave room for some delicious pub food.

#SpoonTip: The famous Crack Fries were voted Top 10 French Fries in America by Food Network Magazine. These beer battered fries are covered in their secret seasoning and served with a warm cheese sauce. Now I’m hungry just writing about them.

4. Beggar’s Banquet

MSU

Photo courtesy of beggarsbanquet.com

This casual, laid-back spot is the go-to place for those hungover mornings when all you want is comfort food because going out for “one” drink turned into “one” hell of a night. Nothing is better than waking up at noon and heading to a brunch filled with mimosas and stuffed French toast. The romantic and sophisticated atmosphere also makes Beggar’s a great choice for a dinner date.

#SpoonTip: You might even want to enjoy Yellow Fin Ahi Tuna on Wednesdays when bottles of wine and appetizers are half off. Yes please!

5. Golden Harvest

MSU

Photo by Brittany Cutler

I’m not sure what makes this place better, the people or the food. While you have to drive a little farther and there will always be a line out the door of people waiting for a table, it’s definitely worth it. Just to give you an idea of some of their delicious food, the Ten Hens Farm Omelette that they are featuring today has roasted fennel, mushrooms, onion jam, baby kale, butter beans, new garlic, white cheddar, chevre and herbs. Looking for something more on the sweet side? Don’t worry, they also have a Strawberry Rhubarb Waffle that has fresh strawberries, rhubarb coulis, graham cracker crust and whipped cream. Seriously, you have to go.

#SpoonTip: Make sure to try one of their Daily Specials on the whiteboard instead of a regular menu item, trust me.

6. Los Tres Amigos

MSU

Photo courtesy of kuderick.com

Los Tres is arguably the best Mexican restaurant in town. Especially when you take into consideration that they have 7 different flavors of margaritas. Yup 7. What is more perfect than sipping on an ice cold lime margarita and eating endless chips and salsa? I usually choose to save my money for more margs and just fill up on the chips, but if you’re feeling some Mexican food as well you will not be disappointed!

#SpoonTip: Check out their Happy Hour daily from 3 to 6pm and 9pm to close.