If you only have a couple of days to make the most of LA's vibrant food scene, narrowing down the thousands of available options is no easy task. Don’t know where to begin? Sample the best of what this food mecca has to offer at these five LA restaurants.

1. HomeState

Dipa Halder

There’s always a line down the block for the killer breakfast tacos that this Texan kitchen serves daily. I first heard about HomeState on Buzzfeed’s "Worth It" series and can confirm that the food here is, indeed, worth it.

What to order: Any of the Breakfast Tacos with a side of Lil’ Queso. 

The piping hot breakfast tacos arrive wrapped in foil, featuring soft, handmade tortillas bursting with tangles of melted cheese and fluffy scrambled eggs. A small side of spicy queso for dipping is a must.

2. Osteria Mamma

Dipa Halder

There’s no need to trek all the way to Europe for an authentic Italian meal when you can dine at Osteria Mamma. This cozy, family-run restaurant tucked on the edge of Koreatown definitely knows its handmade pasta, fine wine, and Italian tradition.

What to order: Bigoli Neri alla Bottarga (Squid Ink Bigoli)

The striking black noodles are served al dente, piled high with juicy shrimp and tossed in a light, tangy sauce made from crushed cherry tomatoes and white wine. Consider splitting this (or any of the other massive entrees), as you definitely want to save room for this LA restaurant's dreamy tiramisu.

3. Urth Caffé

Dipa Halder

Ask any local—no trip to Los Angeles is complete without a stop at one of LA's several Urth Caffé's. The one I visited near the Arts District is as trendy and hipster as its surrounding area, and features an outdoor patio that is perfect for enjoying midday coffee and pastries. 

What to order: Pumpkin Pie

Urth Caffé’s take on this classic fall dessert is outstanding. Each massive slice of pumpkin pie is served with a generous dollop of homemade whipped cream that complements the flaky, buttery graham cracker crust perfectly. Dig into luscious pumpkin filling that gives way to subtle notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, and magic.

4. Guelaguetza

Dipa Halder

This traditional Oaxacan restaurant specializes in mole, a dark sauce typically made from poblano peppers, chocolate, and various other spices. Guelaguetza's mole is so popular that it's sold by the jar. From the moment you walk in, you’re greeted with live music, friendly waiters, and free tortilla chips.

What to order: Enmoladas with a glass of Horchata

Enmoladas, or mole enchiladas, come drenched in Guelaguetza’s famous black mole and piled high with stringy, Oaxacan cheese. However, the horchata is what really steals the show. This rice flour and cinnamon-infused drink is poured into a tall glass and loaded with generous chunks of cantaloupe, pecans, and pink prickly pear purée. Whether you order it virgin or spiked with rum, this horchata is exactly what you’ll need to cool off from a long day of exploring.  

5. Wurstküche 

Dipa Halder

A sophisticated take on the classic LA street dog, Wurstküche features exotic sausages and an extensive list of Belgian and German beers. After placing your order up front, head to the back to find seating in a massive indoor space modeled after Germany's classic beer gardens. Wurstküche is always buzzing with locals and tourists alike, all enjoying their gourmet hotdogs, thickly-cut fries, and craft beer.

What to order: The Duck and Bacon sausage 

The juicy hotdogs are served hot off the grill, nestled in toasted buns overflowing with sweet caramelized onions, spicy jalapeños, or other toppings of your choice. Wurstküche even has a rattlesnake and rabbit sausage on the menu if you’re feeling a little more adventurous. 

Although these spots only scratch the surface of the diverse flavors and cuisines you'll find here, if you're looking for a true Los Angeles foodie experience in 48 hours, these five eateries definitely deserve a spot on your itinerary.