When I moved away to college, I knew that I would miss my friends and family, but I didn't realize how nostalgic I'd be for the food. I know Washington, DC is a great food city, but T. Sweets really doesn't compare to J.P. Licks and Emack & Bolio's. Instead of just texting my friends about how much I'm craving a real lobster roll, I've decided to make a list of all my favorite Boston treats so that I will not be alone in my hunger. 

1. Açaí Bowls from Jugos

I have acquired a serious South Block habit since arriving at Georgetown, but I still drool thinking about the Kai Bowl. The line for Jugos is always out the door, but you'll never regret having one of their bowls, smoothies, or toasts. 

2. Cannoli from Mike's Pastry

The North End is famous for two things: their pasta and Mike's Pastry. I cannot go a day in Boston without seeing 20 of their white and blue boxes, and I am jealous they were able to brave the line for the best cannolis on this side of the Atlantic. 

3. Drinking Chocolate from L.A. Burdick Handmade Chocolates

Immediately upon entering L.A. Burdick, you'll feel like you've been transported to an old fashioned European cafe. The hardest choice you'll have to make is whether you want your drinking chocolate (a seemingly richer form of hot cocoa) to be milk, dark, or white chocolate. I recommend trying one of the single source chocolates for a unique experience. 

4. Ice Cream Cone from Emack & Bolio's

Bored with deciding between a cake and waffle cone? Emack & Bolio's offers cones covered in Oreos, Rice Krispies, Fruit Loops, and Fruity Pebbles. Embrace your inner five-year-old and order S'moreo ice cream on an Oreo waffle cone. 

5. Bagels from Bagelsaurus 

I've been listening to New Yorkers talk about how amazing their bagels for months, but I know that nothing compares to a Bagelsaurus Sea Salt Bagel.

6. Sweet Cheeks Q

Boston is far north of the Mason-Dixon Line, but no one told Sweet Cheeks. Biscuits with honey butter may not be the healthiest offering, but just thinking about it makes me hungry. 

7. Cappuccino from Thinking Cup

Thinking Cup proudly displays one of their Latte Art Award Medals next to the cash register, and though I am slightly concerned that there are latte art competitions, the honor is well deserved. Their cappuccinos are truly the most photogenic in town.

8. Crêpes a la Banane from Gaslight Brasserie du Coin

Brunch at Gaslight is truly a transformative experience. Whether you order sweet or savory (which honestly feels like the hardest decision every Sunday), you are in for an authentic French experience. 

9. Coffee Oreo Ice Cream from J.P. Licks

This requires no explanation. Coffee Oreo ice cream sounds like a dream come true, and I have no idea why they don't offer this flavor in ice cream shops around the country (this is me officially calling out Ben & Jerry's). 

10. Sticky Bun from Flour Bakery + Café

Flour Bakery, the brainchild of Joanne Chang (an up-and-coming Boston chef), gives the best advice I've ever heard: "make life sweeter ... eat dessert first." Their hummus and daikon sandwich on focaccia puts my grab-and-go Cosi to shame, but the true highlight is the heavenly sticky buns.  

11. Blackbird Doughnuts

I know that I should be loyal to District Doughnuts, but my heart belongs to Blackbird. Their flavors are always changing, but whether you order a raised or cake doughnut, you can't go wrong. I'm especially excited to try their apple cider glazed doughnuts when I go home for Thanksgiving.

12. Sushi from Snappy Sushi

This might just be me, but I love Snappy Sushi. They are now expanding into Ramen, but their sushi got me through my eight-hour shifts working on Newbury Street during the summer.

13. Freakshakes from Boston Burger Company

I will not judge you if you order this instead of (or with) your burger at Boston Burger Company. I've never had the Black Tap shakes (or frappes, as we like to call them), but I doubt they are this freaky. 

14. Pizza from Regina Pizzeria

Nothing is better before a Celtics game at the Garden than a (huge) slice from Regina's. This Boston classic has been serving up pizzas since 1926 and makes their dough and sausage in-house daily. 

15. Ice Cream from Toscanini's 

Every Boston ice cream fan has their favorite ice cream shop. Our Yankee rivals have also contributed to the discussion, claiming that Toscanini's is the best ice cream in the world (so better than New York, no surprise there). 

16. Fenway Frank 

Fenway Franks might not be the most sophisticated of Boston's offerings, but they taste incredible while watching the Red Sox from the Green Monster. 

17. S'mores from Stephanie's on Newbury

Like any marathon shopper, I need proper sustenance after a long day pounding the pavement (or walking up and down Newbury). I find my best relief in a big pan of gooey s'mores topped with vanilla ice cream. 

18. Seafood from Neptune Oyster

Looking for the typical New England experience when your college friends come to visit? Neptune Oyster Bar has all the classics (oysters, lobster rolls, fish and chips, and clam chowder) that will make your friends start speaking with a Boston accent. 

19. Shakshuka from Tatte Bakery and Café

If you're looking for a casual yet classy brunch in Beacon Hill, Tatte will make you feel right at home. Their shakshuka, which combines eggs, tomatoes, and spices, is without a doubt the best way to warm up during the cold Boston winters. Also, Tatte Bakery is basically partnered with Panera now, so I don't think it could get any cooler. 

20. Anything from Dunkin' Donuts

I know it's a chain, but I couldn't leave out this classic. No matter how cold it gets, I have yet to not see someone drinking the near ubiquitous Dunkin' Iced Coffee. America may not run on Dunkin', but Boston certainly does