I just moved to NYC for the summer, and I have obviously made a list of all the foods that I need to try in the city. Most of my picks are desserts (mainly cookies, tbh). I decided to save y'all the research and countless hours on Insta that I had to endure and share my list of the best cookies in NYC.

Many of these places are super famous already, but there are some hidden treats that you won't want to miss. 

1. Levain Bakery

I'm just going to get the obvious one out of the way first. You have most likely seen these cookies on your Insta at least a hundred times and dreamed of eating one of Levain Bakery's chocolate chip walnut cookies even more. These babies are gooey and crunchy at the same time, and they are literally aesthetic perfection.

2. City Bakery

Though most famous for its hot cocoa and marshmallows, City Bakery whips up an incredible cookie. The chocolate chips are as big as my eyes, and all cookies are baked fresh every hour to ensure proper heat and goodness.

3. Ovenly

Erin Patinkin and Agatha Kulaga left their careers in social justice and social work in order to become founders of Ovenly, and their girl power-inspired brand is the legit definition of feminism. Whether you like chewy molasses, chocolate truffle, or salted chocolate chip, there is bound to be a cookie for you at Ovenly. 

4. Ben's Cookies

Ben's Cookies is technically not a solely NYC cookie shop (it also has locations in London, China, and Japan), but it's worth a taste. Their cookies are different than most because they use chocolate chunks instead of chocolate chips, so expect a richer flavor and lots of gooey goodness. 

5. by CHLOE.

by CHLOE. serves up a 100% vegan menu in a space made for the aesthetic. Check out the cinnamon espresso chocolate chip cookie in any of their seven NYC locations for some good and (slightly) healthy noms. 

6. BESFREN

BESFREN is a modern Korean bakery that describes itself as a "pastry fairy tale," and it really is a dream come true. Have you ever seen so many chocolate chips in your life? 

7. Milk and Cookies

Milk and Cookies is perfect for a hot summer day when you're hungry for cookies but also want to cool down with some ice cream. They offer a wide variety of cookie flavors (from classics like sugar and oatmeal raisin to fun twists like s'mores and bacon smack) topped with your choice of gelato or ice cream. 

8. Baked

Baked is famed for their massive cookies and whoopie pies intricately made with flavors like Callebaut chocolate, toasted pecans, oatmeal, peanut butter, dried cherries, and more. All dietary restrictions are welcome with the special Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk and Chocolate Cloud gluten free treats. 

9. Cookie Do

Cookie Do has been super trendy on Insta recently, and I can see why. It fulfills every child's dream of raw cookie dough without the risk of salmonella. Expect to stand in line for up to three hours for this sweet treat, but it's well worth the wait. 

10. Maman

Founded by Michelin-starred chef Armand Arnal, Maman specializes in high-quality French cuisine at a bakery level price point. The cookies are made with sea salt, French chocolate, macadamias, almonds, and walnuts for a sweet and gooey treat you won't want to miss. Be sure to bring your camera to capture the aesthetics of this cute open air cafe. 

11. Bouchon Bakery

These are the grown-up version of the Oreos that you never knew you needed. The TKO (Thomas Keller Oreo, named after Bouchon Bakery's chef) from Bouchon Bakery was described by Serious Eats as "an elegant, giant Oreo" that is "deeply chocolatey, with a white chocolate based cream."

12. City Cakes

City Cake offers some of the largest cookies on the market, and their half-pound cookies can be shipped to all 50 states and Puerto Rico. The red velvet cookies are stuffed with sweetened cream cheese for a reinterpretation of the classic cupcake

13. Untitled at the Whitney

It's like the milk and cookies your mom used to make you, but better. Check out Untitled after exploring the Whitney Museum and be sure to order this triple chocolate chunk cookie with a side of milk for a grown-up version of your childhood favorite. 

14. Momofuku Milk Bar

Momofuku Milk Bar is popular for their cereal milk soft serve, but the cookies are worth a try. The Compost Cookie is basically an amalgam of mix-ins (chocolate, butterscotch, potato chips, pretzels, graham crackers, and coffee grounds) and if you're not in NYC, here's how to make it at home.

15. Mah-Ze-Dahr

Mah-Ze-Dah is a stunning little storefront bakery in the West Village. It combines New Yorkers' love for black and white cookies and charity, giving proceeds from all black and white cookie sales to No Kid Hungry

16. Dominique Ansel Bakery

Like taking shots but hate the taste of vodka? These cookie shots with a milk filling from Dominique Ansel Bakery are perfect for you. 

Whether you're looking for the OG chocolate chip cookie, a classic NYC black and white, or an Insta-worthy cookie shot, I hope that this can serve as a cookie compass for you. There are so many cookies in NYC, but these really are the best of the best.