Only a month or two ago, everyone in America was obsessing over the outrageous milkshakes at Black Tap in New York City. And I’m sure those were pretty great, but I bet they’re NOTHING compared to the milkshakes at Hamilton, New York’s very own Maxwell’s Chocolates & Ice Cream.

At Maxwell’s, you can choose from an insanely delicious assortment of candies, ice creams, and homemade chocolates. If you can dip it in chocolate, Maxwell’s probably already has.

milkshakes

Photo courtesy of @maxwellschocolates on Instagram

Although pretty much everything at Maxwell’s is guaranteed to satisfy your sweet tooth, the absolute can’t-miss treats are the famous milkshakes. They’re insanely indulgent, available in basically every flavor imaginable, and highly recommended as an addition to any balanced meal. Recently, a trained group of milkshake-tasters from the Colgate Spoon Team ventured to Maxwell’s to sample and discover the very best flavors. And here are our Top Five:

5. Black & White

milkshakes

Photo by Hannah MacCormack

What’s in it: vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup, whole milk

What we thought: The Black & White Milkshake is a diner classic, and Maxwell’s does it better than any diner any of us have ever been to. When you just can’t decide between classic chocolate or classic vanilla, this is the drink for you.

4. Vanilla

milkshakes

Photo by Hannah MacCormack

What’s in it: vanilla ice cream, whole milk

What we thought: Although a Vanilla Milkshake may sound plain or boring, this shake is everything you need and more. It’s simple, it’s the perfect amount of sweet, and it’s light up enough for you to not feel bad about ordering a large. Not that you should EVER feel bad about ordering a large, anyway.

3. Chocolate Peanut Butter

milkshakes

Photo by Hannah MacCormack

What’s in it: chocolate ice cream, peanut butter ice cream, chocolate syrup, peanut butter syrup, whole milk

What we thought: If you like Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups then you’re going to fall in love with this milkshake. It’s the perfect drinkable version of the world’s best flavor combination, chocolate and peanut butter.

#SpoonTip: And make sure to check this out for even more chocolate peanut butter goodness. 

2. Mint Oreo Fudge

milkshakes

Photo by Hannah MacCormack

What’s in it: cookies & cream ice cream, mint extract, chocolate syrup,  whole milk

What we thought: Although this isn’t technically on the menu, it’s a must-try. If you’ve ever wanted to have a Thin Mint cookie in liquid form, look no further.

1. Birthday Cake

milkshakes

Photo by Hannah MacCormack

What’s in it: vanilla ice cream, cake batter ice cream, rainbow sprinkles, whole milk

What we thought: The Birthday Cake Milkshake was the unanimous favorite. This shake tastes even better than actual cake batter, if that’s even possible. Plus, everything is better with rainbow sprinkles.

#SpoonTip: Ask for this shake with hot fudge blended in if you want to seriously upgrade your Maxwell’s experience.

milkshakes

Photo by Hannah MacCormack

In addition to our Top Five Milkshakes, we also had a few honorable mentions. These include the Espresso Bean, the Half Moon, and the Creamsicle. Can’t go wrong with a single one of these.

Now, head downtown and get yourself a milkshake. You won’t be disappointed, we promise.

milkshakes