Spoon University Logo
yelp
yelp
News

Yelp Recommends Giving Your Phone The Silent Treatment When Dining Out

Dining out in 2024 isn’t what it used to be. With the rise of electronic tipping services and evolving norms in the service industry, the old dining rules have changed. To help navigate this news landscape, Yelp released its first-ever comprehensive guide to modern dining etiquette, ensuring you can enjoy your meals without any social missteps. The Dining Etiquette Guide is backed by responses from nearly 2,000 Yelp users and includes key insights from etiquette expert Myka Meier.

How much should I tip?

Tipping remains a hot topic, with 50% of respondents expressing concerns about what is expected to tip. Despite this confusion, 65% of people stick with the classic 20% tip, so if you are wondering what is still considered the norm, you have it.

What about phones?

To text or not to text, is the question. When it comes to phone etiquette, consensus is clear that there are specific circumstances where your phone should not be at the table. 80% of respondents believe phones should be put away during a date, while only 54% put away their phones during family meals, and 50% when dining with friends. The bottom line is most people agree that mealtime is better without phone distractions.

How early can I arrive for my reservation?

Punctuality is still valued, with many restaurants drawing the line at usually 15 minutes, so make sure you don’t miss that! But it’s not just about the restaurant, it’s about the group you’re dining with. 76% of respondents agreeing that arriving more than 10 minutes late to a reservation is unacceptable. It’s important to be mindful and considerate of those who you made plans with.

Who picks up the bill on a date?

Respondents generally agree that the person who initiated the date is generally expedited to pick up the check, according to 68% of respondents. This practice is especially agreed upon in the south, where 74% of respondents follow this custom. 

How Do We Split the Bill? 

Bill splitting varies by region, according to Yelp’s report. In the South, 65% of finers prefer to ask the server to split the bill based on individual orders. In the Northeast, 34% agree that one person should split the bill and pay it back afterward or split it evenly, which is favored by 39%. But when in doubt, communicate. There isn’t a right or wrong way to split the bill, it just has to be comfortable for everyone involved.

Britney Lavecchia is a writer for the SpoonU National Writers Program. She is also a member and former secretary of Her Campus at George Washington University in Washington, D.C. She has written stories on entertainment, dorm hacks, and fashion.Beyond Her Campus, Britney has interned at ABC 7 in Washington, D.C., where she wrote stories for the station’s website covering local news, events, and lifestyle. She also is a sports news anchor on the GW-TV show Unstoppable. She is a current Junior at GWU, majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications with a minor in Marketing. In her free time, Britney enjoys listening to music, going on walks, and trying new things. She is on the GW cheerleading team and loves all things sports.