Halloween may look a little different for kids in California this fall (or maybe next). California legislators are looking to ban the manufacturing, sale, and distribution of food and drink containing five chemicals linked to health complications such as cancer, behavioral issues in children, harm to the reproductive system, and damage to the immune system. 

How could California ban Skittles?

The specific legislation is known as AB 418, and if passed, will ban products containing Red Dye No. 3, Titanium Dioxide, Potassium Bromate, Brominated Vegetable Oil, or Propyl Paraben. Many of these ingredients are used to enhance flavor, add color, and preserve food for long periods of time. All of these ingredients have been banned in the European Union since 1990, and Red dye No. 3 is even banned in American cosmetics.

Do other companies still use those ingredients?

Companies still use these ingredients within the US because they are in compliance with the Food and Drug Administration. According to FOX2 KTVU, Jesse Gabriel, the Democratic assembly member who introduced the bill, said in a statement released by his office that “most of these chemicals have never been independently evaluated by the [FDA] or were last reviewed decades ago. As a result of this loophole, chemical companies have added new substances to the food supply with almost no meaningful federal oversight."

What has to happen for the bill to pass?

The proposed legislation would need to pass through a committee and then head to the chamber for a vote. It would then pass to the Senate, and if approved, would need to be signed by Governor Gavin Newman before becoming a law. However, according to USA Today, Gabriel believes “there's a 0% chance this is actually going to result in a ban of Skittles.”

If the bill passes, what will happen?

Rather than outright Skittles ban within California, Gabriel is hoping that the companies will switch their recipes to the ones they use in the European Union. While the EU has banned these ingredients, they still have Skittles, just with different ingredients not linked to health issues. So, an outright Skittles ban of these ingredients might not necessarily mean no more Skittles in California.

What other products could be banned or forced to change/remove ingredients?

1. Skittles

2. Starbursts

3. Sour Patch Kids

4. Swedish Fish

5. M&Ms

6. Nesquik strawberry milk

7. Campbell’s Chicken Chunky Soup

8. Old El Paso Sauce

9. Sun Drop soda

10. Kraft fat-free cheddar cheese

If you're interested in seeing a more comprehensive list of items including these ingredients, check out EWG's Food Score website. Here you can search each ingredient and see how many items contain it.