For the first time in history, the Super Bowl is being played in Nevada. The Kansas City Chiefs vs. San Francisco 49ers game is taking place at Allegiant Stadium on February 11. If you're a lucky football fan who is heading to Sin City to celebrate the big game, of course, you'll have to experience the decadent casinos and famous Las Vegas Strip while you're visiting. While you may think of slot machines and poker tables first, you definitely have to carve out some time to sample the beloved foods from the region and city itself. Here are the five best Las Vegas foods to try out for yourself. 

Shrimp Cocktail

Photo via Menú Acapulco on Unsplash

Believe it or not, many attribute the creation of shrimp cocktail to Las Vegas. The Golden Gate Casino began selling the cooked shrimp, cocktail sauce, and lemon wedge appetizer in 1959, and the rest is history. Seafood lovers can find this delicious meal starter in almost every buffet, oyster bar, and casual sit-down spot, but there are city favorites, of course. 

Places To Stop: Piero’s Italian CuisineLola’s, Palace Station Oyster Bar

Basque Cheesecake

You may come across several Spanish restaurants, some menu items specifically reflecting the Basque region of Spain. According to House Of Nash Eats, Basque immigrants arrived in Nevada during the 1800s for the mining industry. Since then, delicious Spanish dishes, including paella and Basque cakes and cheesecakes, have been menu staples. Basque cheesecake is marked by its intentionally burnt top layer and delicious, creamy interior. 

Places To Stop: CasaMadrid, Jaleo

Prime Rib

Photo via José Ignacio Pompé on Unsplash

Of course, you have to grab some good cuts of steak while in Las Vegas, specifically prime rib. Nevada is a ranching state, with one of its main agricultural industries being cattle. You can get fresh beef carved right in front of your eyes at high-end streak restaurants and casino buffets. 

Places To Stop: Siegel's 1941, The Mayfair Supper Club, Lawry's The Prime Rib

Buffets, Of Course

Did you even go to Las Vegas if you didn't pay $40+ for an all-you-can-eat casino buffet? From seafood tables full of crab legs, shrimp cocktail, and sushi platters to brunch corners full of freshly-made waffles and pastries, you can go full glutton for at least one night in the city. You'll find every type of cuisine you could ever possibly want. 

Places To Stop: Caesar's Palace Bacchanal Buffet, The Cosmopolitan's Wicked SpoonThe Buffet at Wynn

Tacos

Of course, if you're in Las Vegas, you'll have to try one of food reviewer Keith Lee's favorites. In his home city, he loves Tacos El Gordo on the Las Vegas Strip, which serves up Tijuana-style tacos. Of course, there are many beloved taco options in the city.

Places To Stop: Tacos El GordoLos Arcos Birrieria y Taco Shop, The Taco Stand