One of the important aspects of a job is how the employees are treated which is sometimes lost in fast-paced and demanding industries, like fast-food restaurants. When looking for a job, either while in school or full-time, being a part of an establishment that supports you and fosters a diverse working environment should be factors to consider. From the multitude of dining and fast-food chains located across the country, QSR Magazine released a list of the Best Brands to Work For in 2023. The selected these chains based on wages, focus on the employee, and culture. To compile the list of the best restaurants to work for, QSR gathered nominations from restaurant brands and had a panel of industry experts to weigh in. The following stand-alone restaurant chains were highlighted due to their encouragement of educational and professional development.  

Raising Cane’s

Aside from its comprehensive health and welfare offering, Raising Cane’s has extensive educational benefits. The fast-food spot offers tuition reimbursement, fully-funded high school programs, and free online learning to workers’ family members.

Border Foods

One of Border Foods’ core values is empowerment, where they seek and share ideas to help others succeed as well as provide tools that foster personal and business growth. They offer programs like the Border Foods Tuition Reimbursement, and scholarships for post-secondary education.

Chipotle

Guac might be extra, but at Chipotle, the chain also offers tuition reimbursement and debt-free college degrees through Guild — a private company that aims to help employers provide tuition-free education in their workforce.

Portillo’s

This “unrivaled Chicago street food” chain hosts career interest days, individual development plans, and LinkedIn Learning to support their employees’ personal growth and focuses.

Whataburger

The burger chain created Whataburger’s Family Foundation to provide scholarship opportunities that are offered to not only its employees but dependents as well.

Noodles & Company

Noodles & Company offers tuition reimbursement and support systems to guide their workers to restaurant management and regional leadership positions. They also encourage their employees to grow into corporate roles “where they can put their experience and college degrees to work in departments like HR and marketing,” according to QSR.

Thompson Hospitality

With currently 67 locations, Thompson Hospitality's perks include college saving plans and tuition reimbursement.

Other restaurant and chains that made the list

Here are the other food establishments that made it to QSR Magazine's list:

Torchy’s Tacos

Dog Haus

City Barbeque

Smash Burger

Flame Broiler

DIG

Jeremiah’s Italian Ice

Cousins Subs

Balance Pan-Asian Grille

CAVA

Aussie Grill by Outback

PDQ

CEC Entertainment

Thompson Hospitality

Hart House

Donatos Pizza

Velvet Taco

Sbarro

Organic Krush