The Writer’s Guild of America (WGA) is on strike as of May 2, 2023, and for good reason. While the movie and TV industry has experienced a renaissance via streaming, the writers behind the scenes are seeing none of the monetary benefits of its success. In reality, many writers, regardless of experience, are living on minimum wages and are fighting just to survive. 

From writers and actors, all the way to producers and fellow entertainment industry unions, many TV and movie folks are showing up and showing out to create a fair and equitable work environment. After all, a win for one union is a win for American labor and shows the power of collective action.

Adam Conover, best known for Adam Ruins Everything and informative video essays, says it best in a short interview. “We all really feel like the world is f*cked up, that like, things are wrong in America, and we have the opportunity here to go and actually fix one of them with our collective action,” he told The Wrap “The Guild is asking me to come out here every day and picket for four hours. And if I do that, I can help stop teamster trucks from going into that building and we can halt productions, and that’ll shorten the strike, and that’ll make them come to the table, and that’ll make them cut the workers in on their profits.”

Various shows already impacted include various late-night shows, including those hosted by Jimmy Fallon, Seth Meyers, Stephen Colbert, and John Oliver, who all support their writers to strike. In fact, Fallon and Meyers are paying their staff out of their own pocket to fight for a fair contract.

While these individuals bargain for a contract with a liveable wage, there are many ways you can get involved, especially if you’re a self-proclaimed snack queen. 

Here’s How To Support:

If you’re located in New York City or Los Angeles where the picket lines are forming, you can join the writers and/or deliver food to them. WGA East and West post their picketing schedules daily on Twitter.

Judalina Neira, the writer and producer of The Boys, Daisy Jones & The Six, and The Flash took to Twitter to share more about what the writers need.

Currently, the picketers are in need of coffee, water, La Croix, Gatorade, and more beverages for hydration. Additionally, they’re requesting healthy snacks including apples, bananas, granola bars, and other easy and quick bites. According to one Twitter user, the fruit was a big hit with the strikers.

Other supplies that could benefit the labor force include cups, trash bags, Advil, sunscreen, and hand sanitizer.

Additionally, Neira says that, “Burgers, tacos, sandwiches go fast. Popsicles were a hit on hot days.”

This is truly the time for Taco Bell’s party boxes to shine!

#SpoonTip: You can benefit most workers on strike by bringing them supplies while they picket. This is not limited to just the WGA.

Finally, suppose you’re not anywhere near a picket line, but want to help out the WGA as they fight for better working conditions. In that case, you can donate to the Entertainment Community Fund that aims to support Hollywood creatives impacted by the strike.

Fave Celebs at The Picket Lines:

Pete Davidson came to the picket lines to drop off pizza. Talk about BDE!

Twitch streamer and new dog dad Hasan Piker showed up alongside Adam Conover to deliver $500 worth of pizza for strikers outside of Netflix. King behavior.

Bill Nye The Science Guy joining the fight is so so so important to me.

Comedians Aidy Bryant and Sarah Sherman of Saturday Night Live fame love their writers.

Comedic actors Jason Sudeikis and Brendan Hunt are also out picketing in Hollywood.

Keep a look out on social media and on their website to see how you can continue to support the WGA strike.