In case you missed it, the groundhogs predicted an early spring. McDonald’s is also doing an early release of its minty signatures. Normally, the Shamrock Shake and its younger companion, the Oreo Shamrock McFlurry, appear across McDonald’s menus around the end of February in anticipation of March. After all, that is where the term ‘shamrock shake’ came from, it being for Saint Patrick's Day. Even in this brutal cold up in Appalachia, I get to look forward to a somewhat warm spring day with the memories of the sweet minty shake and one of my favorite McDonald’s items ever. Isn't it funny how things are coming out earlier and earlier? There’s got to be a reason behind it, but that’s a topic for another day.

When will the Shamrock Shake and the Oreo Shamrock McFlurry be available?

Starting today, February 5th, the Shamrock Shake and Oreo Shamrock McFlurry will be back for a limited time at McDonald’s locations. Let’s hope the ice cream machines are working.

The mint and chocolate shake is a cult classic but I’d argue the brilliant potential of mint and vanilla is severely underrated. McDonald’s gets it, and that’s why I get so excited this time of the year. In case you didn’t know, the Shamrock Shake is a shake with vanilla ice cream and ‘shamrock syrup’ which is a sweet mint flavor. The shakes are a wonderful light green and so refreshing.

There’s also the Oreo Shamrock McFlurry, which is also an excellent flavor combination. It’s simply the vanilla soft serve along with the ‘shamrock syrup’ and Oreo pieces.

Turns out the Grimace Shake has a predecessor, and that’s the famous Shamrock Shake, which used to be promoted by a mascot called Uncle O'Grimacey. He would visit the gang in March for Saint Patrick’s Day. Just a fun little trivia knowledge for you there.

Want to make the Shamrock Shake at home? Here’s what you need.

Sometimes you really just crave a Shamrock Shake and they happen to be very simple to make at home as long as you have a blender. All that’s needed are vanilla ice cream, milk or cream for a thicker shake, green food coloring, vanilla extract, and peppermint extract. Blend these and you’ve got yourself a shake.