The Bear has been hailed by chefs and restaurant workers for its accurate interpretation of restaurant work, highlighting the brutality of the industry. And while the show isn’t biographical, it does pull inspiration from the real culinary world to bring the portrayal of restaurant work to life. This includes characters. As it turns out, Joel McHale’s character, David Fields, the evil but brilliant chef, is roughly based on an actual chef — Thomas Keller. And Keller’s influence extends beyond just his character.

Who is Chef David Fields supposed to be?

It was Joel McHale himself who revealed that David Fields was based on Keller during an interview with Seth Meyers, noting that while Keller may not be as treacherous as David Fields, “he does whisper at his employees” (a reference to when Fields whispers to Carmy that “should be dead” in season 1). Fields is directly inspired by both Keller's legendary repertoire and his behavior. Though, for TV, Keller’s behavior is played up

Who is Thomas Keller?

Thomas Keller is a world-renowned American chef who owns numerous critically acclaimed restaurants, including The French Laundry and Per Se. He boasts many awards and achievements. He owns multiple restaurants with three Michelin stars and was the first and only American chef to do so. He’s also been involved in the creation of many cooking ingredients, most notably Cup4Cup, a gluten-free all-purpose flour alternative, and has published five cookbooks. 

Is Keller the inspiration for kitchens in 'The Bear'?

It’s not just Fields that’s inspired by Keller. His philosophies are also deeply intertwined into the show. Keller’s kitchens are known for being maximum stress, not only because he is a premier chef running some of the best restaurants in the world, but also because they are driven by three words — “Sense of Urgency.” Keller is a believer in keeping the kitchen continuously moving towards the goal of delivering excellent quality cuisine to customers. It’s a serious endeavor that can’t be stalled. And he’s so serious about it that he hangs a sign saying such in each of his restaurants' kitchens, right underneath a clock so that his chefs never forget their goal.

Seem familiar? Maybe that’s because The Bear mirrors this with the "every second counts" sign and clock in the show’s kitchens. And as a bonus easter egg, Carmy has a tattoo of the initials “S.O.U.,” which presumably references Keller’s infamous philosophy.

While Keller may have inspired the unsavory David Fields, his influence stretches beyond that to season The Bear with realism. The clock is always ticking in the restaurant business, and Keller won’t let anyone forget it. And, just so you don’t forget, season 3 is out now for your watching pleasure