Being a kid is all fun and games, literally. In between building elementary school dioramas and wrapping up number sentence homework, there are video games to play, people to tag, bikes to ride, and the like. Of course, growing up in the '80s, '90s, and '00s, fun times and special occasions went hand-in-hand with stopping at Chuck E. Cheese, America's favorite children's casino. While basketball games, photo booths, and pizza are closely associated with the arcade, the Chuck E. Cheese animatronics are basically iconic. However, Chuck E. Cheese, Helen Henny, Mr. Munch, Jasper T. Jowls, and Pasqually are playing their last animatronic band shows in 2024. Announced in November, Chuck E. Cheese is closing the curtain on its famous animatronics, and the company recently revealed why it is bidding adieu to the robots. 

Why is Chuck E. Cheese getting rid of the anamatronic band?

According to Chuck E. Cheese chief executive, David McKillips, the brand is transforming to keep up with the times. This means that the robots are getting phased out in favor of more screens, dance floors, and trampoline gyms. McKillips told The New York Times, “Kids are consuming entertainment differently than they were 10, 20 years ago. Kids, really of all ages, are consuming their entertainment on a screen.”

Of course, not everyone is pleased. In fact, the article noted that many parents made their way to local arcades to witness the Chuck E. Cheese band one final time. 

What is replacing the anamatronic band?

If it wasn't already clear, the stages will soon be home to massive screens. Fortunately, there will still be Chuck E. Cheese mascots in the hundreds of restaurant/arcade locations. 

Uniquely, The New York Times did ask the brand what would happen to the hundreds of animatronics, to which they declined to comment. 

Where are the remaining locations with Chuck E. Cheese animatronic bands?

If you ever want to see a Munch’s Make Believe Band performance, the L.A.-based Northridge location is keeping the animatronics "in residency." However, the Nanuet, NY location will have a solo Chuck E. Cheese animatronic.