Spoon University Logo
Photo of Giselle Medina eating Chipotle\'s Burrito Bowl with Smoked Brisket.
Photos by Giselle Medina
News

Chipotle’s Smoked Brisket Is Back & I️ Tried It

When i️t comes to protein, Chipotle has a variety of choices: chicken, steak, beef barbacoa, carnitas, sofritas, and veggie. At the end of August, the fast food chain announced a new protein, Chipotle Honey Chicken. Chipotle isn’t stopping there, the chain is bringing back a new protein to its menu. Chipotle’s Smoked Brisket returns after three years at participating restaurants in the U.S. and Canada for a limited time.

Chipotle’s Smoked Brisket is back??

Yes, the Mexican-inspired, tender fan-favorite protein is back, and for a limited time.

“We are listening to our guests and bringing this fan-favorite menu innovation out of the vault after three years,” said Chris Brandt, Chief Brand Officer in a press release. “This premium protein is sure to delight guests looking to taste the difference of brisket prepared the Chipotle way.”

To celebrate, Chipotle is offering fans a $0 delivery fee on all Smoked Brisket orders placed through the Chipotle app, Chipotle.com, and Chipotle.ca from Thursday, September 12 through Sunday, September 29 in the U.S. and Canada.

What does Chipotle’s Smoked Brisket taste like?

With that free delivery offer on all Smoked Brisket orders, the options on what to order may seem a bit daunting. If you’re trying this protein for the first time, Nevielle Panthaky, Vice President of Culinary, recommends a Smoked Brisket Burrito Bowl with white rice, black beans, fresh tomato salsa, and cheese. 

I️ tried Chipotle’s Smoked Brisket in three ways: Tacos, Fajita Quesadilla, and Burrito Bowl (yes, I’m still stuffed).

Photo of Chipotle\'s Tacos, Burrito Bowl, and Fajita Quesadilla.
Photo by Giselle Medina

I’m normally a basic chicken or carnitas kind of girl but this protein might be my new favorite. Made with responsibly raised beef, the menu innovation is seared on the plancha and seasoned with spices, including smoked serrano chili pepper and chipotle chili pepper. The protein is then hand-chopped into tender, juicy bites and finished in a savory brisket sauce made with smoky chili peppers. The returning protein was an experience.

Photo of Chipotle\'s Burrito Bowl.
Photo by Giselle Medina

I️ started off with the recommended entrée, the Burrito Bowl. The entrée came with white rice, black beans, fajita veggies, and cheese — simple, nothing crazy. The simplicity of all allowed for the Smoked Brisket to shine. Every bite had a cubed piece of the protein that paired so well with the fajita veggies. The smokiness and bit of spice from the brisket amplified the bowl.

Photo of Chipotle\'s tacos.
Photo by Giselle Medina

Next, was the tacos. It’s no secret tacos are in my top five favorite foods. I️ went a bit excessive on this one, I️ wanted to see how the Smoked Brisket would fair while being loaded with toppings. My taco had guac (obvi!), roasted chili-corn salsa, fajita veggies, and cheese. I️ loved the taco, the juices soaked into the soft tortilla. It was a bit spicy, but not in a “I️ can’t enjoy this” kind of way. The spice was steady throughout and could be cooled down with some sour cream.

Photo of Chipotle\'s Fajita Quesadilla.
Photo by Giselle Medina

Lastly, was the Fajita Quesadilla with guac, sour cream, and tomatillo-red chili salsa. The quesadilla had the crispiest outer layer — I’m still thinking about the crunch from the first bite! Dipped into the tomatillo-red chili salsa, it was too spicy for me, but I️ can see that combo working beautifully for a spice lover.

Giselle Medina is the associate editor for Spoon University where she helps oversee food coverage of news, pop culture, trends, and celebrities. As someone with a huge sweet tooth, she's always on the hunt for a good chocolate chip cookie. Shoot her an email at gisellemedina@hercampus.com or follow her @giselle_medinaa.