The University of Wisconsin-Madison is located in a state most known for its cheddar. There’s even a Center for Dairy Research on campus that dates all the way back to 1890. What exactly do they do at this cheesy center, you ask? Well, conduct research and teach people about the dairy industry. Sound intriguing? Well, even if you aren’t a scientist, you can score a job there, as the Center for Dairy Research is looking to hire a food taste tester for cheese. 

What will the taster do?

The university recently posted a position called the “descriptive sensory panelist,” which basically translates to food taste tester. This person will sit on a panel of expert tasters and be trained on how to describe the taste, texture, appearance, and aroma of many different foods for product development and research purposes. The center is specifically looking for individuals passionate about cheese, pizza, and other dairy products (✋✋✋).  Panelists should expect to taste up to 24 cheese samples and 12 pizzas a week, along with some other foods. The lucky person chosen for this job will be paid $15 an hour— what a grate gig. Panelists will need to be available for up to three sessions per week, each being three hours long, consecutively. Luckily, that makes this job part-time — I don’t think my stomachs could handle any more dairy. 

What qualifications does the descriptive sensory panelist need?

Not much. The only listed qualification is previous panel experience preferred, but not required. The job posting notes that the position might be extended based on need and/or funding, so the panelist might just be cheesing for many years to come.  

How do I apply to be the descriptive sensory panelist?

The position will take place on-site, alongside the scenic lake, meaning you will have gorgeous views while eating ‘za. Does this job have any flaws? I would do anything to sample cheeses and pizza all day long, this is truly a picture-perfect job. If you’re up for it, head to the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s job site to apply.