Spoon University Logo

After more than a decade of longing, Altoids fans can finally celebrate — Altoids Sours are coming back. Since they were discontinued in 2010, people have been yearning for that addictingly sour taste that would leave your tongue in pain. It’s understandable — my own mouth has already started watering too at the thought of those tangy treats.

Altoids Sours are coming back??

Yes! According to the Instagram account @snackolater, who often reveals rumored fast food news, fans can expect to find flavors like mango, tangerine, and citrus available soon. Unfortunately, raspberry fans will have to sit this one out, as it won’t be a part of the new lineup. The excitement is already building.

The twist is that the rebranded sweets will not be made by or associated with Mars, the company that originally made them, but rather a family-owned company known as Iconic Candy that specializes in bringing back discontinued nostalgic favorites. This is the company that revived old school snacks and treats like Creme Savers, Reeds Root Beer Hard Candy, and Ouch Bubble Gum, proving them to be the perfect candidate for the relaunch.

But don’t you worry; the Sours are still packed in those iconic cute little tins. More importantly, Iconic Candy has the rights to the original Sours recipe so they’re releasing the new candy with the exact same taste as the originals.

Why do people love Altoids Sours so much?

It is safe to say that fans are freaking out. A distinct early 2000s treat, people feel quite the amount of nostalgia for these candies. One user commented on the snackolator post, “This is so awesome. I can’t wait till they’re back.” Another replied, “Oh life’s worth living again.” On reddit, one fan commented, “It’s a great day for America.” Even 15 years later, people still get the hype. In fact, Altoids Sours are actually being sold on eBay for hundreds of dollars! Despite the fact that it had expired in January of 2005, fans are clawing at the chance of obtaining this legendary candy.

When will Altoids Sours be available to purchase again?

While the exact details of the release date remain unknown, there are strong expectations that Retro Sours will hit the shelves in the next couple of months. Fans should keep a close eye on Cracker Barrel and It Sugar stores, where the candies will be exclusively available. 

Even if you weren’t a part of the Altoids Sours generation, you should still definitely try the yummy candy. Similar to Warheads, the Altoids Sours definitely puts your taste buds to the test. The return of Altoids Sours promises to revive a long-cherished candy and serves as a joyride down memory lane for all.

I'm a sophomore at Vanderbilt University studying neuroscience and communications on a pre-medical track. At Vandy, I'm a member of Zeta Tau Alpha, the Vanderbilt Undergraduate Research Journal, and Her Campus Vanderbilt. In my free time, I enjoy going to pilates and eating my way through Nashville.