Chips can be addicting, right? They’re such a delicious snack, easy to munch on while studying, ready to grab and go. Most chips don’t have too much nutritional value, though, which is why you’ll seldom see Instagram health and wellness influencers promoting the latest chip flavor or brand. However, two Harvard graduates created chips that are both nutritious and delicious! The secret ingredient? Crickets!

Chirps: Cricket Chips

Two former college roommates, Rose W. Wang and Laura E. D’Asaro, founded Chirps shortly after finishing their degrees at Harvard. Chirps is a company that makes chips with crickets for added protein and vitamins. These women struck a deal with Mark Cuban, an American multi-billionaire and business tycoon,  when they appeared on Shark Tank, and they are also responsible for breaking the world record for world’s largest nachos using their Chirps products!

All the Flavors

I tried Chirps over a year ago, and I have been snacking on them since. These chips come in delicious flavors like sriracha, BBQ, and cheddar! They are all delicious, but my favorite is definitely the BBQ flavor. For those wondering: no, you can’t taste the crickets. They taste just like flavored tortilla chips!

Why Crickets?

Bugs are heralded as a more sustainable protein source, especially since as co-founder Wang pointed out bugs can be raised in cities and can help closely connect the farm to the table. Cricket protein is also complete protein—unlike plant proteins—that contains all of the 9 essential amino acids. One serving also contains more Vitamin B12 than salmon and more calcium than milk!

Cricket Allergies?

Crickets should be safe for most people to consume, but according to WebMD, people with shellfish allergies are frequently also allergic to crickets. If you’re allergic to shellfish, try at your own risk!

Hopping on the Bandwagon

Even though eating bugs is not a common cultural practice in the USA, many people worldwide consume insects. It is estimated that more than 2 billion people in the world eat insects, and this is especially popular in Asia, Africa, and South America. So why wait to give crickets a taste? Chomping on some Chirps is the perfect way to enjoy the health benefits of crickets in a comfortable, delicious snack!

Next time you reach for a study snack, grab some Chirps and enjoy their delicious flavor as well as the many health benefits of eating crickets. Bug appétit!