We may not be in high school anymore, but acne is still a thing as a young adult. Personally, I’ve been going to the dermatologist since I was thirteen years old (shout out to Dr. W). This is partly due to the genes from my acne-prone parents, but I always wondered if nutrition had anything to do with my acne.

Ever since I was young, I was told that greasy foods can impact your acne. Since I love burgers, fries and all things coconut oil I did a little digging on the subject. Similar to other food myths, the idea that greasy foods cause acne is just that — a myth. Kind of.

greasy

Photo by Andrew Zaky

Research shows that eating greasy foods doesn’t have an effect on acne, but being in a greasy environment (think fast food kitchens) can definitely affect your skin. Oil particles can clog your pores with bacteria and dead skin cells and make already oily skin breakout. Touching your face after finishing off those fries is a no-go. Be sure to always wash your hands and avoid touching your face.

greasy

Photo by Stephanie Lee

Although greasy foods don’t directly cause acne, your diet can still have an effect on your breakouts. Some research points the finger at dairy and milk products, due to the hormones it contains that can trigger acne. Fresh fruits and veggies, on the other hand, have a positive effect on your skin.

This is basically your incentive to have your kale and your fries, too.