Over the years, we’ve heard many myths and misconceptions about food. To make matters worse, we end up believing them and then ruin the reputation of our favorite foods. We resist them out of fear of scary diseases, weird notions and sometimes, innovative conspiracy theories (you never know…)

But, as they say, knowledge is power. So, here is the truth about some very common and believable food myths. Eat wisely.

1. Chocolate causes acne. 

chocolate, coffee, candy, sweet, milk chocolate, milk
Christin Urso

We’re thankful that this one’s a myth. Some teenagers actually steer clear of chocolate because they think it single-handedly causes acne.

You will be relieved to know that studies have shown that there is no connection between chocolate and skin problems, and that some types of chocolate may even be good for you (aw yeah). Now you can enjoy each bite of your lip smacking chocolate bar without any worries.

2. Eggs are the main cause of high cholesterol. 

egg, egg yolk, sweet, yolk
Brittany Arnett

Eggs are a nutritional powerhouse, but for a while the egg yolk has been demonized as a cause of high cholesterol. Is it true? Well, the answer is NO.

The real threat behind high cholesterol is saturated and trans fat, not dietary cholesterol present in yolk. So banish the old notion that an egg, specifically the yolk, is hazardous to your health, and make yourself an omelette.

3. Calories eaten at night are more fattening than those eaten earlier in the day. 

pizza
Monica Zunick

The common knowledge today is that a calorie is a calorie. So regardless of when you eat it, what causes weight gain is simply eating more calories than you burn. No matter when you eat, the effect will always be the same.

4. You should drink 8 glasses of water a day.

water, beer, iced water, ice, glass, water cup

We do need a lot of water for our daily functioning, but 8 glasses is just a too-popular-to-be-ignored figure. In reality, there is no hard rule that says you should consume 8 glasses of water daily.

Our liquid intake doesn’t just depend on water, it also includes other beverages as well. So stop gulping down eight whole glasses of water just to get the number right, and drink a beer instead #college.

5. It's important to fast periodically to cleanse toxins from your body.

tea, beer, coffee, milk, water
Hailey Maher

We are blessed with an elegantly designed system for removing toxins, aka the liver, kidneys and spleen. We don’t need to fast or keep ourselves on a liquid diet for any period of time to help our organs do their job better. They know how to get the job done on their own.

6. You can't get enough protein as a vegetarian.

vegetable, broccoli, chicken, rice, stir-fry, pepper, meat
Katherine Baker

To all those who think meat = protein, let us break the news to you: beans, grains, nuts, green leafy vegetables and dairy products are pretty awesome sources of protein. In fact, they provide sufficient protein, meeting your body’s necessary requirement. So stop hating on the non-meat eaters and have a spoonful of peanut butter.

7. Fresh vegetables are better than frozen ones. 

vegetable, lettuce, spinach, radish, organic vegetables, farmer's market
Sam Jesner

The truth is frozen vegetables are packed up and frozen right after picking, which means that most of their nutrient value is retained. So don’t feel bad about using frozen veggies when you make your superfood smoothies, because they are just as good as your fresh veggies.

8. Microwaves zap nutrients.

coffee, beer, tea, beans
Leanna Smith

Are you convinced something bad is happening to your food behind that microwave glass?

Well, you couldn’t be more wrong. The microwave is one of the safest and best options for nutritionally sound food preparation. All you have to worry about is providing less exposure to heat and minimal use of liquid to enjoy high nutrient value food.

9. Alcohol helps you sleep better.

wine, alcohol, liquor, red wine, coffee
Alex Frank

Many people have a glass of wine to help them sleep, but the reality is that alcohol disrupts sleep

It may help you fall asleep fast, but it interferes with the quality of your sleep. Why? Because your deep sleep continues for only part of the night and after that point, getting shut eye becomes a struggle. That explains your 7 am wake up on Sunday mornings after getting in at 3 #sorrynotsorry.