Vegans, health freaks, and coffee lovers are freaking out over the recent ascent of oat milk. It's 2018 and there are more lactose-free options than ever before. The glory days of almond milk and powdered creamers are over my friends. There's a new dairy-free milk supplement in town and oat milk's health benefits and rich, sweet flavor are about to win you over.

What is it?

First, steel cut oats soak in water for a period of time. They are then mixed and strained to create a heavy, foamy milk that has a surplus of health benefits and an exquisitely flavorful taste. Individuals in parts of Asia and all the way to Scandinavia are using oat milk as their supplement to replace traditional milk and milk alternatives. 

Let's Talk Nutrition

Oat milk contains an extensive amount of fiber, calcium, vitamin A and iron that you most likely weren't getting from your previous diet. This milk is specifically low in fat and contains no cholesterol, which is why many individuals feel it is a healthier option than normal cow's milk. 

Let's Talk Benefits

Oat milk has explicit health benefits including protecting your heart, boosting your immune system, aiding vision, preventing chronic disease and increasing bone strength. Oat milk contains 10 minerals and 15 vitamins, which is a higher nutritional content than most milk and lactose-free options. 

You Can Make it Yourself

Biggest advantage? You can make it yourself. First, soak steel cut oats for 4-6 hours. Then, add water and oats to a food processor. Next, blend this mixture until it reaches the perfect consistency. Once the consistency seems right, strain the oats and store and refrigerate the milk for 2-3 days. 

Best Oat Milk

For those who are COWards or simply don't have the time, there are a multitude of popular brands to taste test from. My personal favorite is Oatly. They are the original Swedish oat milk company that has spent the past 25 years perfecting their recipe. The Oatly product was first introduced in America by specialty coffee shops, where baristas would act as oat-milk ambassadors within the "roasting community." The company didn't want to first introduce their product on grocery shelves but allow for a more personal initial experience.

Where can I find it now?

What can't you get on Amazon these days? If you are looking for a local shop, Whole Foods, Walmart, and Target all carry it as well. If you're lucky you may even get to pick between a couple different brands (Oatly, Pacific, Ripple).  Also, make sure to check with your local barista next time you order coffee. More and more cafes are choosing to replace the less popular coconut milk with this new and upcoming milk supplement.

So the next time you are at your favorite specialty coffee shop, make sure to check if they can make you a cappOATccinos or an oat latte. It is time for skim milk to moo(ve) over because this milk pours just right.