I have always been a healthy eater, but even for me, it has been difficult to not get distracted by the diet fads that come and go every day. Rather than go by the ever changing trends like "low-carb," "low-fat," and "fit teas," among others, I have a handful of quotes for good health that I like to refer to. 

All of the quotes referenced are from Michael Pollan, an American author who has written extensively about healthy eating. He has authored some very popular books such as In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto, The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals, and Food Rules: An Eater's Manual.

1. “Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.” 

This one is my favorite! Honestly, this is the only quote for good health you really need.

2. “Don't eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize as food.”

This one really rings true to me as it emphasizes how we should avoid processed foods as much as we can. That is why it is one of the best quotes for good health. (But my Russian great-grandmother for sure doesn't know what avocado toast is- you can bend this rule a little.)

3. “So that's us: processed corn, walking.”

This isn't so much an advice quote, but a good reminder that so many of our foods include processed corn, so we should try to avoid ingredients like high fructose corn syrup, dextrose, Maltitol, and others. These ingredients, among others, are secretly corn derivatives, or pure sugar. Once corn is processed into sugar, it loses all it's natural benefits as a plant food. 

4. “Don't eat anything incapable of rotting.” 

Products that last a really long time and never go bad seem like a good thing at first glance, but on the other hand, do you really want your food to not go bad? What do they add to it to make it last so long, and do you want to put that in your body?

5. “If you’re concerned about your health, you should probably avoid products that make health claims. Why? Because a health claim on a food product is a strong indication it’s not really food, and food is what you want to eat.” 

There is no "perfect" food item, so if a product makes a claim that seems too good to be true, it probably is. Fruits and vegetables don't need health claims because the fact that they are healthy is self-evident!

6. “If it came from a plant, eat it; if it was made in a plant, don't. ” 

Another solid anti-processed foods quote!

7. "Most consumers automatically assume that the word "organic" is synomymous with health, but it makes no difference to your insulin metabolism if the high-fructose corn syrup in your soda is organic.” 

Pollan states, “Organic Oreos are not a health food. When Coca-Cola begins selling organic Coke, as it surely will, the company will have struck a blow for the environment perhaps, but not for our health." Americans tend to get distracted by the term "organic." Some things are better to buy organic, but for others, it really makes no difference. Save your money!

8. “Rule No. 37: The whiter the bread, the sooner you’ll be dead.” 

This is definitely a little dramatic, but it is a good rule of thumb. Try to go for darker and whole wheat breads and pasta if you choose to eat processed grains. 

9. "If you're not hungry enough to eat an apple, you're not hungry.” 

This is a solid rule. Sometimes I confuse a craving for sugar with actual hunger. Or, I am just thirsty. If the only thing that will satisfy you is a pack of Oreo cookies, maybe you are not truly hungry.

10. “Avoid food products containing ingredients that are A) unfamiliar B) unpronounceable C) more than five in number or that include D) high-fructose corn syrup.” 

I love the emphasis on not eating foods that have more than five ingredients. This is a rough number but when you are eating processed foods, you definitely want to try to eat minimally processed ones.

11. “Okinawa, one of the longest-lived and healthiest populations in the world, practice a principle they call hara hachi bu: Eat until you are 80 percent full.” 

This is always a good rule of thumb because chances are, if you get hungry later, you can always eat more or have a snack. I tend to eat really fast, so I won't notice that I am full until it is too late and I have to lay down after my meal. Not fun.

12. “Eating what stands on one leg [mushrooms and plant foods] is better than eating what stands on two legs [fowl], which is better than eating what stands on four legs [cows, pigs, and other mammals].” 

Plants are the healthiest but if you do want to eat meat, definitely follow this guideline for the best options.

13. “Easy. You want Americans to eat less? I have the diet for you. Cook it yourself. Eat anything you want—just as long as you’re willing to cook it yourself.” 

This is a very effective way to eat healthy but also to save money. I am vegan so this rule really applies to dessert. Since it is harder for me to find vegan sweets, if I really want them I have to work for it.

14. “So don't drink your sweets, and remember : There is no such thing as a healthy soda.” 

Every health professional will agree-soda is a no-go. I love drinking plain sparkling water, and if I want to add a kick I'll throw in some fresh herbs and fruit for a bit of flavor.

15. “You are what you eat is a truism hard to argue with, and yet it is, as a visit to a feedlot suggests, incomplete, for you are what what you eat eats, too. And what we are, or have become, is not just meat but number 2 corn and oil.” 

You are what you eat is a very common expression, but we have to remember, if we are eating animals, we are consuming what they ate too. Most animals on factory farms are fed corn and oil, which is unnatural for them, but also means that you are ingesting that second-hand. Even if animal cruelty or harm to the environment doesn't bother you, the animal's diets might.

If you want more healthy eating inspiration, be sure to check out one of Michael Pollan's many books! You'll be sure to find more quotes for good health.