Corn syrup is one of those ingredients we are told not to eat because it's unhealthy. But do we still eat foods with it? Probably every single time.

Corn syrup is produced from corn starch and is the base for high-fructose corn syrup, which is thought to cause obesity and other major health problems.

Although corn syrup is widely recognized as being unhealthy for you, many people don’t know how the controversial sweetener is made.

I did some research on how corn syrup is made so we can put these questions to rest and know if it's actually as harmful as it's thought to be.

To make corn syrup, there are two main steps: separating corn starch from corn and converting corn starch into corn syrup.

Separating Corn Starch from Corn

Separating corn starch from corn isn't as easy as you would think. First, corn kernels that pass inspection are softened by putting to mix of water and sulfur dioxide.

Once the kernels are softened, the inner portion of the kernel, known as the germ, is removed. The germ is then heated and pressed so the corn oil in it is released.

Any remaining material from this process then has its starch removed from its fiber. Once separated, the starch is mixed with a protein mixture, called mill starch.

The starch and mill starch are mixed together at high speeds, creating a heavy starch and a light protein. After having any leftover protein removed, the starch is fully removed from the corn and is ready to be converted into corn syrup.

Converting Corn Starch into Corn Syrup

The process of creating corn syrup is called acid hydrolysis.  Wet starch is mixed with a weak solution of hydrochloric acid and then heated under pressure. Sugar is created by the heat and the hydrochloric acid breaking down the starch molecules.

Stopping this process at different points creates various levels of sweetness. The longer you allow the hydrolysis process, the sweeter the corn syrup will be.

The syrup then goes under a final process by removing any undesirable flavors and colors before being evaporated to reduce the amount of water.

And that, my friends, is how you make corn syrup. I don’t know about you, but the thought of eating something that was produced with multiple acid products freaks me out. 

Why eat something that is made up of harmful products and is thought to lead to health issues? There are so many healthier food options for us to choose from that contain natural sugars. So let's avoid eating these processed foods and stick to what's best. We all have one body, so don't put it to waste.