Yes, indeed. According to science, women are naturally better at surviving than men are. Women have stronger immune systems, which allows them to recover faster from illness and trauma (thus making them more robust). Society tends to define strength as physical power and athletic ability, but what is stronger than survival? 

More of the science behind this is explained here, but I'd like to focus on how this information can help us reverse the sexist dialogue about women being the "weaker sex" and helping girls embrace their power and biological advantages.  

Here are some ideas for how to get started on your way to becoming the most badass woman you can be (and maybe change the world while you're at it). 

Step One: Physical Strength

water, fish, girl, climbing, rock, Rock Climbing, wall, gym, chalk, exercise, workout, lifestyle, Athlete, Health, fitness
Caroline Ingalls

Physical strength is the one area where men biologically still have the advantage. Men are built to carry heavier weights, run faster, and do it for longer – but that does not mean that women cannot be physically more powerful than men. 

If you take initiative to hit the gym or the pavement and improve your fitness level, you will grow stronger than the men who simply rely on their innate strength. After all, a head start gets you nowhere if you don't run the rest of the race. 

cake, beer
Molly Gallagher

There are plenty of great resources online to help you build physical power, like this, this, this, this, this, and so many others on Spoon alone! Remember, though, that your mental health always takes priority over #gainz, and that the goal is confidence and toughness, not perfection. 

Step Two: Take Advantage of Your Longevity

Here is where women have the advantage, and here's how to use it. 

Women's immune systems work harder than men's to fight illnesses, meaning that we are better equipped to survive ailments that kill men. However, it also means that our bodies get more beat up over time because a highly active immune system ends up accidentally targeting healthy cells. Annoying, but definitely preferable to dying earlier.

To combat these side effects of super-strong immune systems, it is critical to help yours out sometimes. It's hard to change the world when you're at home sick.

With greater longevity comes more opportunities to live your life to the fullest. Now that you know that you are likely to live longer than men do, take some time to set some goals: immediate, short term, and long term. Reflect on what you'd like to accomplish in your lifetime, and brainstorm ways to leave your mark on the world.

Step Three: Empower Yourself

cake
Molly Gallagher

Women are a force to be reckoned with, especially when we know our own worth and work together to create change. Society has tried to suppress women for centuries, but it will fail if you push back against everyday sexism.

Of course, activism is easier said than done, and women have been fighting for equality for centuries (shoutout to the boss ladies of history). However, there is no time like the present to stand up for your rights and leave your mark on the world. If you need some inspiration, here are some Meryl Streep quotes to pump you up.

Step Four: Use Your Powers for Good, Not Evil

Yes, I'm about to seem like a hypocrite, but it is super important to clarify that the focus of feminism is to promote equality. I know I just said that women are stronger than men, but that really isn't the pertinent issue here. 

I have to write an article about the ways women are stronger than men because throughout my lifetime I have only been exposed to the idea that men are stronger than women. To achieve equality, it is important to undo the societal issues that perpetuate injustice. In this situation, that means celebrating the strength of women. 

The fact that the headline of this article seems controversial is evidence of the fact that society portrays women as weak and of the necessity of the new wave of feminism that celebrates women with muscles or who speak their mind.

pizza, beer, cake, tea, coffee
Sam Dilling

Here's to the strong, sexy, smart, and fantastic women who embrace their longevity and do what they can to make a difference (hint: it's you!). Girl power, forever.