Up until about a year ago, I had no idea what an açai bowl was, and I know I can't be the only one!

Nowadays, I seem to be surrounded by the hype, while smoothie bowl pop-up-shops are beginning to multiply left and right.

In case you haven't seen one of these colorful treats pop up on your Instagram feed yet, an açai bowl is a deliciously beautiful mixture of blended and whole fruit, usually paired with granola and drizzled with some sort of sweet sauce to top it off. The trend took off last summer and judging by the success of Playa Bowls on the east coast, it looks like its here to stay.

We know fruit is good for us, but why? Should we eat it everyday? Are açai bowls the answer? Scroll down so I can letchya in on some of the sweet deets about this beach-side trend!

mango, mangos, Fruit, Healthy, fruits, eating mango

How Much Is Too Much?

The general recommendation for fruit and vegetable intake is at least 400 grams per day, or 5 servings of 80 grams. In other words, 5 cups of fruit per day. However, in a recent study, 17 people ate 20 cups of fruit/day for 2 weeks with no adverse side-effects. So, maybe it's okay to indulge a bit, if you're feelin' up to it.

sweet, berry, blueberry, blueberries, Healthy, Fruit
Tess Tarantino

Wait A Sec... What's The Dealio On Açai?

Here I am blabbing about how much fruit we should eat, but let's talk about the bowl's main attraction: açai.

The Americanized term "açai bowl" is derived from the traditional Brazilian dish, "açaí na tigela" which, translated, means "açai in the bowl." How convenient?! And, just like in Brazil, U.S. açai bowls are common among beach locales, malls, and are even popping up in local hometowns.

pineapple, Fruit, tropical, juice
Sam Jesner

Where Can I Get My Hands On An Açai Bowl?

There are so many açai bowl shops now, I wouldn't be surprised if there was at least one in every town! Here are some chains: Frutta Bowls, Playa Bowls, Tiki Bowls, and Bowl of Heaven, to name a few.

pasture, sweet, berry, strawberry, Healthy, Fruit
Tess Tarantino

The Verdict

All in all, here at @spoon_shu, we believe when engaging in portion control... an açai bowl a day keeps the doctor away!