As someone who has a severe nut allergy, peanut butter/almond butter/literally any nut butter is completely off-limits for me. I also like to bake, and it's always a little disappointing when I discover a yummy looking recipe only to find out that peanut butter is a main ingredient.

One day while browsing aisles at the grocery store, I noticed something called "SunButter". Picking up that jar of SunButter basically changed my life for the better.

What is SunButter?

SunButter is a sunflower seed spread, made from GMO-free sunflower seeds. There are 5 different types of SunButter products: Natural, Creamy, Natural Crunch, No Sugar Added, and Organic. SunButter is free of the top 8 allergens (peanuts, tree nuts, milk, eggs, wheat, fish, shellfish, and soy), making it a safe, nutritious, and delicious substitute for peanut butter. 

The Health Benefits

A 2 tablespoon serving of SunButter contains 7 grams of protein, 4 grams of fiber, 0 trans fatty acid, 27% of the recommended daily requirement of Vitamin E, 8 % of the recommended daily requirement of iron, and only 120 mg of sodium.

According to the SunButter website, SunButter has the same amount of protein as the leading brand of peanut butter, but it has less saturated fat, less sodium, less sugar, no trans fats, and more vitamin E, fiber, zinc, and iron.

Alternative Uses for SunButter

poutine
Kavita Gurm

There are so many ways you can enjoy SunButter: on toast, on slices of apples or bananas, in your oatmeal, in a salad, in baking, and more. The SunButter website even has a recipe page with tons of allergen-friendly recipes.

For me, the best part about SunButter (other than its nutritional benefits) is that I no longer feel like I'm missing out on exciting recipes or products that involve peanut butter.

If there's a recipe you want to try that has peanut butter in it, simply substitute in the same amount of SunButter. Here are 5 sweet recipes that can easily be made nut-free with SunButter.

1. Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Pops

This refreshing snack is perfect for hot summer days. Sweet bananas, decadent chocolate, and creamy SunButter make a delicious combination. 

2. Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge

berry, sweet, chocolate
Rachel Wine

This recipe includes walnuts, so to make it nut-free make sure you skip this ingredient or substitute the walnuts for berries or seeds.

3. Gluten Free Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies 

goody, oatmeal, candy, pastry, oatmeal cookie, cake, sweet, cookie, chocolate
Kristine Mahan

Not only are these cookies vegan and gluten-free, but by using soy or rice milk (and SunButter of course), they also become nut-free. 

4. Pumpkin Peanut Butter Smoothie Bowl

coffee, cream, soup
Caroline Fisher

If you love pumpkin, try this protein-filled smoothie bowl for a healthy breakfast or post-workout snack. 

5. No-Bake Healthy Salted Caramel Truffles 

sweet, candy, chocolate
Katherine Baker

This recipe is already nut-free, so no substitutions have to be made. These salted caramel truffles require NO baking, and are also vegan and refined sugar free.