With fall almost over, we thought we’d give you a little rundown on the season’s favorite flavor. We know your little heart goes pitter patter when Starbucks, Dunkin’ Donuts and every food retailer alike distributes its seasonal pumpkin item. We also know you find yourself caught in the act of ordering the pumpkin spiced muffin or innocent slice of pumpkin pie even though you thought you were in the mood for a wrap or salad. Well, it turns out there is a lot more benefits to the pumpkin than just its delicious aroma or fond memories of carving pumpkins as a child.

Did you know that…

1. Pumpkins enhance your eyesight

A cup of cooked or mashed pumpkin contains more than 200% of your daily intake of Vitamin A, which is noted for aiding vision, particularly in dim light.

2. Pumpkins aid in weight loss

A great source of fiber and only 49 calories per cup, pumpkins can keep you feeling full for longer on fewer calories.

3. Pumpkins give you clearer skin

The same carotenoids in pumpkin that may prevent you from cancerous cells also help keep your skin wrinkle free.

4. Pumpkins help lower cholesterol

Don’t throw out the seeds! The seeds in pumpkins (like other nuts and seeds) are naturally rich in certain plant-based chemicals known as phystosterols that have been shown to reduce LDL, otherwise known as “bad cholesterol.”

Thanks to Huffington Post for this great information!