Do you feel overwhelmed or anxious to even attempt running because you do not think you can go for more than 60-seconds? Do not get caught up in "running" when you can "run-walk" your way to the finish line? But what is a "run-walk" exactly? A "run-walk" is alternating between a power walk for 2 minutes, and running at full speed for 2 minutes for your desired amount of total time. 

Walk breaks help you mentally break up a challenging race or workout by concentrating on one segment at a time. You are able to erase a lot of the fatigue with each walk break and your legs feel stronger at the finish. This leaves you with the energy to celebrate that evening and recover quickly (without the fatigue or pain).

Motivation for New Runners

You can do it, you can do it, if ya put your mind to it. If you are a newbie runner and want to gain some speed, a run-walk is key. Practice sprinting for just one minute, and keep building up your pace. 

Better Weight Loss

Find yourself going on dreadfully long runs and still not shedding a single pound? Well, these quick-but-killer efforts may be the closest thing you'll find to a magic calorie-burning bullet. You not only log less sweat time, but also continue to incinerate calories at an increased rate even during the walking or jogging recovery periods.

Decreased Chance of Injury

Allow yourself to feel good after a run instead of limping for the next three days because your cannot feel anything from your waist down. It is better to walk slowly, with a short stride because long strides can cause shin irritation. Relax and enjoy the walk.

Go Long (In Moderation)

Everything is O.K. in moderation! This sustained effort will improve your endurance by increasing your heart's capacity and strengthening ligaments and tendons so you feel stronger during your short runs.

Quicker Recovery

In need of a walk break? Totally acceptable! Sprint as hard as you can for 2 to 3 minutes, and then walk it out to regain your energy and keep going. That is the beauty of a run-walk. 

Overall, you should have faith in your strategy and be proud that you have improved from solely "walking." "Run-walking" is an accomplishment, and will help you improve your stride physically, as well as your mindset that goes along with it.