Last time I went to Green City Market, the best farmers market ever in Chicago (IMO), I was absolutely mesmerized by the smell of fresh pastries from Verzenay Patisserie and the puppy behind me waiting patiently for his owner to order some snacks — I wish I had that patience. I still have a little bit of raspberry peach jam in my fridge that I bought from Bushel and Peck’s the first time I went to the market. I put it on most types of bread, and now it’s a little glass jar just sitting in my fridge. I also remember buying pickles I swore I would save for my sandwiches but ended up eating the whole jar in the car with my best friend on the drive to lunch.  

Outdoor farmers markets are one of my favorite things. Not only do you get to see how it brings the community together and their puppies I would happily pet (if their owners allow it), but the smells are to die for and how can I live without fresh bread? But Green City Market has a special place in my heart. This nonprofit organization focuses on local and sustainable farming practices with locations set up in the Lincoln Park, Avondale, and West Loop.

Green City also believes that “access to good food is a right, not a privilege.” The market strives to make sure that right becomes a reality for all Chicagoans. They welcome and triple match Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP or Link in Illinois or EBT nationally) benefits at all of their markets.  

While promoting their missions and values, Green City’s website also tells you what’s in season this month and what you’ll most likely see at the market, from all the types of vegetables, fruits and nuts, to meats and different proteins, drinks, and more. 

I can still taste the lavender-infused coffee I got from Kikwetu coffee, a Kenya-born, Chicago-made coffee, and I’m still kinda salty someone took my bagel from The Bakery at Flat & Point tent and I ended up with a veggie bagel that wasn’t toasted. Who doesn’t get their bagels toasted? Honestly, double toasted is the superior way to eat them. 

Besides the delicious smells of the market, Green City also has plants and flowers, like potted herbs and other plants. I happened to buy a couple sunflowers last time I went and they made my little garden more radiant.

At the end of the market, farmers donate “unsold produce, herbs, meats, eggs, dairy products, bread, and non-perishable items — food that otherwise may have gone to waste — directly to feed our neighbors facing food insecurity,” the Green City website reads.

Not only is it better for you to get locally-sourced goods, but it also helps the different neighbors that are facing food insecurities which gives back to the community. Overall, Green City is one of my favorite farmers markets, and I can’t wait to see what this season brings for my farmers market Saturdays.