As aesthetically appealing food has risen to popularity on Instagram, people have found many ways to make their simple salads look appetizing – often by using as many colors as possible. But did you know that "eating a rainbow" of fruits and vegetables is actually something dietitians recommend? Here's a rundown of why you should enjoy a rainbow of food.

Red 

lemon, blood orange, sweet, citrus, juice, grapefruit
Tiffany Tran

Lycopene is the pigment that makes tomatoes and strawberries red. It is a natural chemical that reduces the risks of cancers, especially breast and prostate cancer. Lycopene also provides some protection from heart attacks because its antioxidant purposes protect the DNA and heart from damage.

Orange/Yellow

vegetable
Tiffany Tran

We’ve always been told that oranges are full of Vitamin C. What we don’t know is that pineapples, lemons, mangoes and peaches are chock full of Vitamin C and Vitamin A, both of which enhance immune function. Additionally, carrots, corn, and yellow bell peppers are vegetables that reduce risk of cataracts and help protect your eyes. 

Green 

cabbage, salad, cucumber, broccoli, vegetable
Tiffany Tran

The base of salads – green cabbage, spinach, kale, lettuce – are essential for many parts of your body. They help prevent cancer, keep your eyes safe from oxidative stress, regulate blood sugar, decrease the risk of cataracts, and contain a lot of fiber that is good for digestive and intestinal health. We know eating greens by itself isn't fun, so try out recipes like this kale salad to spice things up. 

Blue/Purple

pie, pastry, chocolate, cake, cream, cherry, berry, sweet
Tiffany Tran

There aren't many blues and purples in the rainbow of food, but grapes, blueberries, and plums are important. They are full of anthocyanin, an antioxidant that protects your skin, guards the cardiovascular system, improves memory, and destroys cancer cells.

White

carbohydrate, tuber, potato, pasture, vegetable

Yes! Potatoes are good for you. Mushrooms, onions, apples, pears, bananas, and potatoes are all white foods that can lower blood pressure, cholesterol, and the chance of cardiovascular disease. Other foods, like garlic, are a rich source of Vitamin B6, which is a natural health remedy and boosts the immune system. 

Start making your meals an art by adding a rainbow of food. Not only will you get that Instagram-worthy aesthetic, but you will also receive all of these health benefits!