Let's face it: there were some decent Super Bowl ads this year, and there were some that really, really made us raise an eyebrow. You didn't have to be a marketing student to admire the cleverness of using a Breaking Bad storyline to emphasize the addictiveness of PopCorners or question what Avocados From Mexico was thinking with an ad about Adam and Eve.

As a marketing student, one of my skills and passions is analyzing how well different companies convey their messages memorably and positively to connect with consumers. Below are my light-hearted reviews of the most notable food and beverage Super Bowl LVII commercials. 

Avocados From Mexico (Rating: 2/5)

This ad opens with Adam and Eve in the imagined Garden of Eden, where a talking squirrel offers Eve an avocado from Mexico "because it makes everything better." Flashing forward to the present day, the world is kinder, and avocados are, well, illustrated in every aspect of society.

This ad gets a two only because of a clear tagline that avocados make everything better, but it does a poor job of connecting this slogan to any realistic reasoning. It grabs attention but mostly in a way that confuses the audience. Also, do avocados really need to be made religious?

Budweiser (Rating: 5/5)

This commercial does an amazing job of conveying who Budweiser is made for without being exclusive. The beers getting handed between hard workers from places like food trucks, a recording studio, and a party shows that Budweiser connects people and supports their spirit and grind. The music is upbeat and energized to match the message, and the ending of an outstretched bottle offered to the screen for the viewer is extremely welcoming and compelling.

Busch Light (Rating: 3/5)

This ad could offend some consumers. It pokes fun at animal rescue organizations and implies the emotion behind them is feminine. It also distracts from the message. That being said, it well defines its target audience as outdoorsy, adventurous men. Also, the actor opening the can to a "Buschhhhhh" sound is clever and makes it sound refreshing.

Doritos (Rating: 5/5)

This commercial features a celebrity who the brand's key demographic of younger consumers loves. There's humor. There's creativity. There's a striking story. The image of a triangle is pretty much burned into your brain. And not only is a triangle shape used to clearly suggest Doritos, but it's also connected to the hip and artistic tagline, "Try a new angle." This is an incredibly thoughtful, intelligent commercial.

Dunkin' (Rating: 2/5)

Besides the celebrity value, there isn't much here. It isn't clear why someone should go to Dunkin'. Ben Affleck doesn't even seem to love his job very much. I found myself left uninformed, unconvinced, and unsatisfied.

Hellman's (Rating: 3.5/5)

The Hellman's commercial is...fine. Selecting celebrity names that represent things that would work well with mayo is very clever, but the ad is awkward and almost feels like it's trying too hard to force a message out. Hellman's does do a great job at conveying mayo as appetizing, versatile, and useful, but there's nothing said to set its mayo apart. It may as well be advertising for the deliciousness and versatility of any mayo brand.

M&M's (Rating: 1/5)

After seeing this ad, I didn't think I could ever eat M&M's again without thinking of biting into a clam. I truly don't understand what M&M's is trying to achieve here. The repulsion of "chewy, chunky clams" is striking and memorable. Do they want consumers to associate the taste with disgust? There was an opportunity to launch an exclusive Ma&Ya line or the announced reintroduction of its iconic "spokescandies." M&M's took a risky shot, and it did not hit its mark.

Oikos Yogurt (Rating: 4/5)

The product placement is memorable without being overbearing. The playful family reunion setting is heartwarming and captivating. However, although the ad claims Oikos makes you strong, it's unclear how. I deducted a rating point because I believe that despite the humorous and relatable storytelling, Oikos missed an opportunity to build trust and desire to buy.

Pepsi Zero Sugar (Rating: 3/5)

This commercial starts off strong, with alien slaying, a proposal, and suspense over what the ad is really about. I have to admit though, I cringed when Ben Stiller took a sip of Pepsi Zero Sugar with the line, "Wow, that's really good. Or was I just acting?" This is a misguided spin that sows distrust and confusion. There is a call to action to "try it for yourself" at the end, which could prompt a curious audience to purchase, but it is likely to push away other potential buyers in the process.

PopCorners (Rating: 5/5)

This ad is genius in every way, shape, and form. It uses an iconic and popular show, Breaking Bad, to advance a plot where PopCorners is integral to bringing people together. The comparison of PopCorners to a drug, while risky, is well played to show the simple science behind their uniquely great-tasting formula and how addicting they are. The story is creative, the characters are hilarious, and the script is very clever.

Sam Adams (Rating: 4/5)

This ad is incredibly funny, even if you're not from Boston. It's another perfect example of compelling, unique storytelling. The dialogue is constantly pivoting whenever it approaches expectations. The benefit of "brighter" is clearly conveyed in the story, then tied back to the product.

However, the focus is lost in the process, and it's easy to forget this is an ad for Sam Adams beer. The commercial would be stronger if it featured each Bostonian actually drinking it, which is making them act "brighter." The "brighter Boston" scenes could also be more colorful and vivid to forge an association with the importance of brightness. It's a great ad, but there's further potential!

To read about more Super Bowl food commercials, visit Marina Nazario's article or Camilla Baker's article.