Let the games begin! Or, well, continue. 

The 2020 Summer Olympics are well underway in Tokyo, Japan, and already jam-packed with breaking news: everyone's favorite gymnast, Simone Biles, bowed out of the competition;  17-year-old swimmer Lydia Jacoby won the 100m breaststroke, causing us all to question our athletic abilities, diver Tom Daley finally won the gold after four Olympic appearances, and rugby player-turned-TikTok-star Ilona Maher asserted that the Olympic Village has the best gyoza in the entire world.

Given the sheer number of sporting events, and the insane time change from the U.S. to Japan, it's almost impossible to watch everything. Luckily for you, we've made a definitive, very scientific guide to make sure you're getting the most of your virtual-spectator experience

Here's the Summer Olympic Sport you should be watching based on your favorite classic game-day appetizer:

Deviled Eggs → ATHLETICS

According to the History Channel, Deviled Eggs were first created in 13th century Rome. The Olympics also date back to Ancient Rome, and included running, jumping, shotput, discus, and javelin — all events that are part of the modern day Athletics in Tokyo.

cream, egg, milk, deviled eggs, dairy product
Stephanie Cozza

Find a Spoon-approved recipe for this classic appetizer here.

Swedish Meatballs → ARCHERY

Arrows are to bullseyes as toothpicks are to party-sized meatballs. Except the Olympic sport requires Merida-level talent.

Bruschetta → TRIATHLON

tomato, basil, bruschetta, mozzarella, cheese, pepper
Amanda Shulman

Forget biking, swimming, and running; grilled bread + tomato + seasoned olive oil is my kinda triathlon.

Bacon-Wrapped Scallops → BEACH VOLLEYBALL

Just like bacon-wrapped scallops, a little bit of land (volleyball) is combined with a little bit of sea (the beach) in this intense, high-energy sport that brings the fun.

Nachos → BASKETBALL

chili, salsa, nachos, tacos, chicken, sauce
Brianna Hauck

Nachos are consistently a ~slam dunk~ when it comes to game-day apps. While each player is solid on their own (looking at you, refried beans and guacamole), they work together to kick things up a notch.

Chips with Salsa and Guacamole → 3x3 BASKETBALL

Just like nachos, yet lacking a few players.

Pita & Hummus → BOXING

bread, hummus, vegetable
Christin Urso

Boxing was first popular in Ancient Greece, and hummus is a Mediterranean staple! I'm almost positive that Greek Olympians carbo-loaded with pita bread. 

Shrimp Cocktail → SWIMMING

Unfortunately, I don't have much logic for this one beyond the fact that shrimp are sea creatures. I wonder who would win in a Katie Ledecky/Jumbo Shrimp 100m freestyle face-off?

Crudités Platter → EQUESTRIAN

vegetable, broccoli, carrot, pepper, tomato, salad, cucumber, cabbage, cauliflower, platter, onion
Luna Zhang

Hay is for horses, as are carrots. Just like a veggie platter at a pre-game party, Equestrian is sure to occur at the Summer Olympics...but, not everyone will be *racing* to eat or watch either.

Buffalo Chicken Wings → DIVING

It's amazing to me that Olympic divers DON'T have wings given the skill and precision that some of those flips require. 

P.S. Did you know that buffalo wings were invented by...accident? Check out a short history of this game-day staple here.

Charcuterie Board → MODERN PENTATHLON

appetizer, Yum, food, wine, wine night, meats, cheese, Charcuterie, antipasta, brie, motzerella, tomato, grapes, prosciutto, salami, pepperoni, baked brie
Kate Lawlor

Did you know there’s an Olympic event that combines fencing, swimming, jumping, and pistol shooting, all topped off with a cross-country run? This six-event Pentathlon is reminiscent of the six crucial components of a great charcuterie board: cheese, crackers, cured meats, dried fruit, nuts, and more cheese!

Caprese Skewers → FENCING

mozzarella, vegetable, tomato, caprese salad, basil, cheese, salad
Stephanie Lee

This appetizer is sophisticated and to the point (pun-intended). If you don't pretend you're a sword-wielding sabreur while skewering mozzarella, basil, and tomato, you’re doing it wrong

Now let's get to snacki---watching and cheering on Team USA