We're all guilty of just throwing out spare food, and the sad reality is that there are people in the New Orleans area who would be grateful for that food. Luckily, there are lots of amazing non-profit organizations that are serving this population, and you can help out by donating to one of these food banks close by.

1. Second Harvest Food Bank

With locations in New Orleans and Lafayette, Second Harvest is responsible for distributing donations in South Louisiana and has been doing a pro job for years. They accept all food donations large or small. If you really want to go the extra mile, Second Harvest will help you plan a food drive for your sorority, club, or just at Tulane in general. They will supply everything you need– you just bring the food and the friends. 

2. Just The Right Attitude

Just The Right Attitude is fighting hunger in the New Orleans area, and they depend on food donations from people like us. In 2014 they distributed 426,000 pounds of food and cooked 150,174 hot meals. They are located on City Park Avenue in Geismar, Louisiana. 

3. Love in Action Outreach

Love in Action is a non-profit with the mission of providing love to the residents of New Orleans and those in need of it. They accept food items (perishable and non-perishable), household appliances and items, and clothing for all sizes and ages (new or used).

If you're a Tulane student, keep your service rolling even after your tier 1 or 2 requirement ends. If you simply live in the New Orleans area, take part in giving back to your community. No one should go hungry, so give the gift of food this holiday season.