It seems that everywhere you turn a new boba shop is opening up. Whether people enjoy it for the fun flavors or the tapioca pearls, boba is a fun drink that many people have been obsessed with lately. One of the struggles of getting a boba drink is deciding which flavor is for you. I tried four different boba tea flavors in a local Gainesville boba shop to try and answer that question for myself.

Bayley Needham

1. Rose Milk Tea with Tapioca Pearls

Bayley Needham

This unique flavor is sure to be a light, refreshing drink. The rose taste is quite subtle but if you don’t like the rose flavor, you will not like this drink, as it is the main flavor. I would order this drink again because it’s fun and compliments the tapioca pearls well. The flavor did get a bit old towards the end of the drink but I still enjoyed the drink. The taste at times did resemble the smell of a rose-scented candle. 

Rating: 7/10  

Taste: fragrant, refreshing, subtle

2. Original Milk Tea with Tapioca Pearls

Bayley Needham

This classic flavor is one that everyone can enjoy. This refreshing flavor is subtly sweet and tasty. You can’t go wrong with this milky drink. This brown sugar drink pairs perfectly with the tapioca pearls and is my personal favorite drink on this list. If I’m ever unsure of which boba flavor to get, I order this one because it is consistently good and never disappoints. 

Rating: 8/10       

Taste: milky, sweet, refreshing

3. Taro Green Tea with Tapioca Pearls

Bayley Needham

This drink featured two distinct flavors: taro and green tea. While I thought the flavors would counteract each other, they worked surprisingly well together. The green tea flavor was not very strong, but I still enjoyed the drink. Taro drinks can sometimes be really sweet but this drink was not overly sweet. At times, taro resembles the taste of the milk in a fruity cereal but this taro drink did not. This boba tea drink was milky and creamy. I would definitely order it again.

Rating: 7/10         

Taste: savory, milky, light

4.  Brulee Green Tea with Tapioca Pearls

Bayley Needham

This is the most unique flavor on this list and unfortunately, it was a miss. The flavor was strong and a bit overwhelming, making it hard to enjoy the star of the show: the tapioca pearls. The green tea flavor was present but somewhat bitter, considering that this drink was meant to have a brulee flavor. I would not order this again.

Rating: 5/10         

Taste: sweet, strong, bitter

The Boba Debate

Hopefully, this article helped you figure out which boba flavor is the best fit for you. No matter what boba flavor you get, you are sure to enjoy it as you cannot go wrong with any boba flavor. Sip through a large straw and enjoy your next boba drink, whether you order rose milk tea, original milk tea, taro green tea, brulee green tea, or any other boba flavor. For an article on other trendy drinks, check out this spoon article on cheese tea: Spoon University Cheese Tea Article