The Oat Milk Trend

Either you've already heard of the oat milk trend and are now obsessed or you might be asking yourself what exactly it is. For beginners, oat milk is just another non-dairy alternative, like almond milk, rice milk, soy milk, cashew milk and coconut milk. Except oat milk has risen above all of its counterparts and has even been in such high demand that there's been an oat milk shortage. Now you might be thinking, what's with all the hype? Well, oat milk stands out for its deliciously creamy texture, environmentally friendly production, and multitude of nutrition benefits.

cereal, wheat, oatmeal, oat, corn
Caroline Mackey

Milk From Oats? 

First, let's start with the basics. Oat milk is made through harvesting steel cut oats which then get soaked in water for a minimum of 20 minutes. Once the oats have absorbed all of the liquid, they are blended and strained through a cheese cloth. You are leftover with oat pulp, but now have a delicious glass of oat milk ready to go.

Oat milk has especially been admired for being environmentally sustainable. It uses the least amount of water during its production compared to other plant-based milks and oat milk has a small carbon footprint. 

It's Healthy Too

Not to mention all the health benefits, oat milk has as well! Oat milk contains no added sugar, has 4 grams of protein per serving, which is more protein than any other plant-based milk, has 35 percent of your daily recommended amount of calcium, is low in fat, and contains vitamins and minerals like zinc, vitamin D, and magnesium. Plus oat milk tastes great with your overnight oats!

Oat Milk has Taken Over Coffee Shops

Oat milk has also become a barista's best friend. Unlike other plant-based milks, which water down lattes and taste bad with coffee, oat milk accentuates coffee's delicious flavor and makes your lattes creamy and dreamy.

cafe, caffeine, energy, Drink, hot, Cold, Winter, Fall, Pretty, plate, mug, Blue, White, Brown, milk, foam, cream, coffee, latte
Katie Kasperson

Late to the Oat Milk Game

Surprisingly, the United States is a bit behind on the oat milk trend. Oat milk has been a consistently popular milk alternative in Europe way before being introduced to the US. Among other things, the oat milk leader, Oatly, is a Swedish company that has transformed the making and branding of oat milk products. 

Go Ahead and Give it a Try!

Hopefully by now you are seriously considering trying oat milk next time you are looking for a lactose free substitute. Or at least you now know why the world is hyped up about oat milk and maybe you will be too.