What goes best with Tacos? Guacamole. What goes best on chips? Guacamole. What goes best on a spoon? Guacamole. No matter the occasion, everyone can agree that guacamole is the universal word for delicious. You may love it, you may be wondering goes in it, or you may be wondering what is guacamole? Lucky for you, I consider myself an expert and will show you the way on this avocado adventure. 

What Is Guacamole?

vegetable, egg, bread
Hailey Maher

Guacamole is a creamy, avocado-based dip that's most commonly associated with Mexican food. It's typically eaten with chips or as a topping on tacos or various other delicious meals. 

Written records of guacamole actually date back to the 1500s. The Aztecs created this dip and called it ahuaca-mulli. When the Spaniards conquered the Aztecs, they found this dip delicious (duh) and wanted to bring it home. Unfortunately, avocados didn't grow in Spain, so when the Spaniards tried to duplicate this dip back home it was a flop. Luckily it stayed in their memory, just like any good food does, and guac gained popularity again in the late 1900s and we are oh so thankful for that. 

What's in Guac?

avocado halves, avocado pit, avocado

This legendary dip can always be made to taste (did anyone say tableside guac?), but it's typically made with avocados, salt, lime juice, diced tomatoes, onion, and cilantro. But what makes guac fun is being able to spice it up to make it yours. 

Some like it chunky, some like it smooth, some like it with jalapeños and some without. The beauty of guac is being able to make it how you like it. Whether you're a fan of #basic gauc, fruity guac or guac you can use as a face mask, there's no wrong way to guacamole. Aren't you glad you asked "what is guacamole?"