GMU students have made a push for Fair Trade products to be available to students on campus in the past few years. Never heard of Fair Trade? You're about to learn what it is and where you can find your options on Mason's campus.

What is Fair Trade?

fairtrade

h-melk on Flickr

Fair Trade products have rigorous social, environmental and economic standards work to promote safe, healthy working conditions, protect the environment, enable transparency, and empower communities to build strong, thriving businesses. What does that mean? Basically, when you buy a product with the Fair Trade label, you are supporting a business who provides fair wage, safe working conditions, and are transparent in their operations. To be Fair Trade certified, businesses have to go through a rigorous test of standards.

Where can I find it?

Starbucks

lager, wine, ale, liquor, alcohol, beer
Molly Doroba

Starbucks, found in the bottom floor of the JC or Northern Neck, ethically sources its Fair Trade beans. This means you can drink your coffee and do not have to worry about people who would have picked your beans working 10 hours a day and getting paid $2.

Dunkin Donuts

sweet, cream, ice, tea, coffee, milk
Jacqueline Canino

Just like Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, located in Tidewater, uses ethically sourced beans. Their espresso beverages made the switch back in 2004.

Devine Chocolate

Fairtrade Friary 29 02 2012 (16)

gbcarmelite on Flickr

Devine Chocolate is owned by cocoa farmers. How cool is that? Not only is it 100% Fair Trade, but they have multiple flavors available and are located in the vending machines around campus. Need a chocolate? Pick it up before class, and look for the full size chocolate bar. (Milk Chocolate with Toffee and Sea Salt is the bomb diggity!)

Einstein's Bagels

Breakfast at Einstein Bros.

Average Jane on Flickr

Einstein's, located in Merten Hall and the Nguyen Engineering Building, serves up its' own cup of Fair Trade Coffee. 

Argo Tea

coffee, tea, espresso
Ilsa Saeed

Argo Tea in Fenwick Library serves up Fair Trade certified teas. Check out their selection of black and herbal teas

Wine

Looking for cheap and Fair Trade wine? Look no future, Aldi has you covered. Aldi is located just off campus on the corner of rt. 50 and 29.

Mason has new Fair Trade options continuing to pop up all around campus. Be sure to look at the label for the Fair Trade or Fair Trade USA logo to support their continuous efforts to bettering working standards .  If you're interested in learning more, check out Freedom Connection: Against Human Trafficking's Fair Trade Cook-Off event in October.