A London Fog beverage has been around for over a decade. A London Fog may also be referred to as an earl grey tea misto, or tea late. Also, if you're in Scotland, people may refer to this drink as a, "Vancouver Fog." But what is it? What does it taste like?

As it turns out, this beverage originated in Vancouver, Canada by a woman named Mary Loria. At the time, she was pregnant and looking for a coffee alternative. She had decided by mixing earl grey tea (decaf I'd assume, due to her pregnancy) and milk to form a tea latte.

coffee, milk, tea, espresso, cream, cappuccino, sweet
Rosalind Chang

What is it? 

A London Fog is a rather simple drink, but packs a lot of flavor. This drink consists of earl grey tea, vanilla syrup, and steamed milk. 

What does it taste like?

If you never tried Earl Grey tea before, it is a black tea made with bergamot. This tea is a combination of floral, sweet, bitter, and sour. In addition, there is vanilla flavoring and milk added to the London fog. Because of this, there is always room for customization, like changing the flavor or using different milk alternatives.

What is Bergamot?

Bergamot is a citrus fruit that is usually found all over Europe, though mostly in France and Italy. This fruit tastes more bitter than grapefruit, but is less sour than a lemon.

Personally, I love ordering London Fogs. It's my version of a "hug in a mug." The combination in this drink has a great balance of flavors. It's warm, tastes very earthy, and has a hint of creaminess and sweetness.

#SpoonTip: When you visit your local coffee shop and ask for it, you might not find it on the menu, but many baristas will know what you're talking about. If they don't, just ask for an Earl Grey tea with vanilla syrup, steamed milk, and whipped cream if you'd like. If you enjoy tea lattes, chai lattes, or just want to try something new, this is it!

Snowed in and can't get to your local coffee shop? Make it at home with this recipe!