When you think of Guava you think of tropical getaways and fun smoothies with umbrellas sticking out, but what is a guava? Guava is one of those exotic fruits that, if you have no idea what to do with it, you just walk past in the grocery store and never really know what it actually is. So what if there was a way to incorporate this mystical fruit into your daily routine? Well, after reading this article, you will be enriched with the knowledge and possibly add a new item to your shopping list. 

What is a Guava?

A guava is an edible tropical fruit with either a yellow or light green skin color and flesh that can either be white, pink, or dark red. It has edible seeds and has numerous health benefits.

Guava or Superfruit? 

Guavas while beautiful in color actually hold a number of health benefits. Guava helps to boost immunity. Little known fact, guavas are one of the richest sources of vitamin C so before you go grab your typical OJ, you may want tor each for some guava juice. They hold four times the vitamin C content as oranges and since Vitamin C helps improve immunity and protects you against infections and common pathogens, it can keep you healthier.

Guavas can also keep your heart healthy. Guava fruit helps improve the sodium and potassium balance of the body, thereby regulating blood pressure in patients with hypertension. Guavas also help lower the levels of triglycerides and bad cholesterol, which contribute to the development of heart disease. The magnesium present in the fruit is responsible for one of the many benefits of guava, helps to relax the muscles and nerves of the body. So after a hard workout or a long day at the office, a guava is certainly what you need to relax your muscles, combat stress and give your system a good energy boost.

Want to shed a few pounds? Guava is just the ticket. Without compromising your intake of proteins, vitamins and fiber, guava helps you lose weight by regulating your metabolism. It’s a win-win! Guava makes for a very filling snack and satisfies the appetite very easily. Guava, especially raw guava, also has far less sugar as compared to apples, oranges, grapes, and other fruits.

How to eat a Guava

To start off, look for the softest guava. The softer the guava, the sweeter and more delicious it will be. To tell if a guava is ripe, squeeze it gently and if it gives under your fingers, you know its ripe and ready to use! Once you purchase a guava though they usually go bad in two days because they are extremely perishable so keep that in mind when picking your fruits. Also, look at the guavas to make sure they are blemish free. Blemishes or bruises can mean the fruit is bad or will not taste good. The color can also be a big teller of how ripe the fruit is. Reipe guavas are ones that have gone from bright green to a softer yellowish- green color. If you see a touch of pink on the fruit, you know it is in its prime. 

Before you eat the guava you have to wash it and cut it up. Wash the entire fruit because the rinds are actually edible. You can then cut your guavas in half using a serrated knife. you van either eat the guava, rind and all or you can scoop out the insides, regardless you are sure to have a delicious tasting snack. Some people even like to add seasonings or dip it into soy sauce, salt, sugar, or even vinegar. 

If you have any leftover guava you didn't eat, make sure you wrap it in plastic wrap and store it in the fridge for up to four days. If you don't think you will eat it within four days, freeze it and it will last up to eight months. 

It's Always Good with Guava 

Whatever your usage for this magical fruit, know that it can have multiple uses and so many reasons to have this new food added onto your typical grocery list. Hopefully this article will give you the tools to transform this fruit in your own way and whatever way that works with your lifestyle. Keep calm and Guava on! 

Other articles to check out:

https://spoonuniversity.com/lifestyle/guava-benefits-that-will-keep-you-happy-and-healthy