Like all other Canadians, I wake up each morning in my igloo to eat pancakes with a few litres of maple syrup for breakfast. After sufficient hydration from Tim Horton's coffee, I ride my sled dog to university, worship hockey in the evenings, communicate with my friends via smoke signals, and take care of my pet moose, beaver, and caribou. Canadian stereotypes—you've gotta love 'em. 

While these may not hold true for everyone, each province has embraced certain stereotypes regarding their unique cuisine.

1. British Columbia - Nanimo Squares

Named after the city of Nanaimo, this dessert is a delectable mixture of chocolate, coconut, graham crackers, and walnuts. They have a smooth texture and melt-in-your-mouth perfectly. Don't be alarmed: the yellow colour comes from custard powder, not some shady banana-flavoured powder.

2. Alberta - Beef

Unless you've been living under a rock, you've likely heard that Alberta has some serious beef pride. And bacon pride. I don't care what you say, Canadian back bacon > all other bacon.

3. Saskatchewan - Saskatoon Berries

Nothing makes me happier than my Gramma's Saskatoon Berry Pie—especially after spending hours painstakingly picking each delicious berry by hand.

At the Saskatoon Airport, every tourist shop offers something Saskatoon Berry related: tea, jam, chocolate covered berries, ice cream, lip balm, key chains, post cards... you name it. 

4. Manitoba - Bannock

The province of Manitoba currently has the highest Aboriginal populations in Canada. It is also the home of the notable Red River Rebellion, led by Métis leader Louis Riel in 1870.

Traditional Aboriginal bannock is made from flour, water, and some sort of fat. Before ovens and stoves, the dough was wrapped onto sticks and cooked over an open fire, making it a staple for the fur traders and explorers alike. It pairs perfectly with some bison stew or topped with a little blueberry jam.

5. Ontario - Beaver Tails

Before you freak out: it's not an actual beaver's tail. Just like those elephant ears you get at the fair? Not actually an elephant's ear.

Beaver Tails are actually an upgraded version of bannock. These deep fried pieces of heaven are topped with anything from the traditional cinnamon and sugar to classic maple syrup. 

#SpoonTip: Former President Obama has his own beavertail named after him. The "Obamatail" is topped with cinnamon, sugar, whipped cream, and drizzled with chocolate sauce and maple butter.

6. Quebec - Poutine

bacon, poutine
Photo courtesy of La Poutine Week and Olya Krasavina

While we can't say with certainty who invented poutine, we're just glad they did. The word "poutine" is also open to interpretation. Poutine is slang, in French, for mess. But the English word for "pudding" may have been pronounced as "pouding" with a French accent... which leaves us with poutine

7. Newfoundland and Labrador - Figgy Duff

Not only is it fun to say, but it's also a tasty treat. Despite containing the word "fig," Figgy Duff does not contain figs. In fact, the original recipes call for raisins; other versions use blueberries. It's traditionally served at a Jigg's Dinner, another Newfoundland staple.

Newfoundland also gets a shoutout for their own take on poutine: Turkey Mess. An accurate description, Turkey Mess starts with a base of french fries topped with cut up hotdog, turkey, stuffing, onion, and gravy. 

8. New Brunswick - Fiddle Heads

Also called Ostrich Ferns, these plants are particularly finicky. New Brunswick has been harvesting and consuming these wild veggies for centuries. They taste like a cross between asparagus, okra, and green beans. Ensure you boil or steam them for 15-20 minutes before consumption to avoid upsetting your stomach.

Their signature coiled shape is only present for two weeks in May. Additionally, once their leaves grown longer than seven centimetres, they become too bitter to eat. If you managed to find yourself a can of these nutrient-rich veggies, try experimenting with some of these delicious recipes.

9. Prince Edward Island - Cow's Ice Cream

Voted Best in the World by Tauck World Discovery and best in the Canada by Reader's Digest, Cows Ice Cream began serving the public in 1983. In addition to flavours such as Wowie Cowie, Fluff 'N Udder, and Messie Bessie, Cows has offers some of the punniest merchandise (HELLO FROM THE UDDER SIIIIIIIDE) you'll ever find.

With only 11 stores across Canada (the closest one to us at USask is in Banff, Alberta), Cows ice cream is truly the most delicious hand made ice cream you will ever try. If you ever find yourself at the original Charlottetown location, make sure to go on a factory tour to witness the magic first hand.

10. Nova Scotia - Lobster

It doesn't get any better than freshly boiled lobster smothered in butter and garlic sauce. You could literally walk along any street in Nova Scotia and purchase a fresh-caught lobster. Are you a more hands-on kind of person? Sign-up for a lobster boat tour and try haling the traps yourself. Turn that lobster into a feast with one of these recipes. 

I think it's safe to conclude that Canadian cuisine is top notch. The next time you find yourself in Canada, track down these classic delicacies and embrace your inner Canuck.