It'd be a stretch to say I've never received a rejection letter. In fact, so many have passed through my inbox that I laugh every time the words "Thank you for your interest" dance across my screen. 

If laughter really is the best medicine, thank God I'm doing something right. Because at times, it's easy to feel like a failure. College is an investment (money, time, emotions, etc.), so after closing the door to University life, most post-grads anticipate a revolving door of job opportunities. 

This spring, I embarked on a professional (and emotional) journey into the agonizing job hunt. I took a lot of falls, had one too many pity parties eating Ben & Jerry's, and truly felt the gravity of defeat. Whether my applications were actually worth the time or if they were immediately dropped into a "reject" pile, I finally embraced it. If a company doesn't want you, chalk it up to a bump in the road. Find yourself, and find hope in your future on your own.

You Are Not Alone

beer, coffee, wine
Tiffany Meh

My story of success is also my story of defeat. After four years of priding myself on my hard work and dedication to school, extracurriculars, and work, I felt like none of it was worth it. Advisors stamp a gold star on your resume and thank you for being a straight A student, but at the end of the day, job acceptance goes beyond the metrics. 

Try not to compare to others during your job hunt. Comparison is a poison that will pull you farther from yourself. In the long run, this is a self-journey. At times the journey takes a rough turn, but it is nonetheless an experience that should be cherished. 

Embrace The Humility

pasture, apple, tree, person
Alex Frank

After the first 5 rejection letters, I gained an invaluable feeling of humility. Anger and denial crept up on me a few times, but what stood strong was humility. The interviewing process surfaces the flaws, strengths, and everything in between that we need to improve. 

Sometimes it hurts, but it serves as a reminder to live humbly with everyone around you. I learned the importance of asking more questions and judging less. 

Avoid Anger

fish, water, girl, climbing, rock, Rock Climbing, gym, wall, exercise, workout, lifestyle, Athlete, fitness, Health
Caroline Ingalls

We have a hard time dealing with the things we can't understand, and job hunting is no different. It's hard to understand why you're not worthy of a company, especially for an entry-level position. 

Instead of getting worked up about it or thinking you aren't good enough, try to find ways to channel your anger into something positive. It's not the recruiting manager's fault; it's not your fault. There's no need to be angry when it can be turned into a life lesson. Don't forget — you're learning about the process, and it will just make you that much better for your next job search. 

Search For What You Really Want

water, wine
Molly Gallagher

They call it a job search, but at the end of the day, it's a search for so much more (excuse the cliche). This quest brings us to face life head-on: the good, bad, and the ugly.

Perfecting your resume allows you to reflect on your personal and professional experiences, learning what's most important to you. Writing a cover letter allows you to appreciate and honor who you are. An interview opens your mind to feedback. 

These are things we take for granted, but we are fortunate to embark on this journey. After all, this is what you've worked so hard for, right? So don't let yourself get discouraged. If things don't go well at first, fight harder. And enjoy the ride.