Real talk, I have never been excited to take a shot of vodka. If I could safely get drunk without the horrific taste and burn of vodka, believe me, I wouldn't be writing this right now. Chasing with soda gets boring really quickly, which is why I needed to try something that was a little more exciting. 

Here's what works and what doesn't when it comes to cutting the taste and allowing you to go in for another shot.  

Coffee

coffee, cappuccino, milk, espresso, mocha, cream
Sydney Rosenstein

Terrible. Especially when the coffee is hot and the vodka is ice cold. Only acceptable if you absolutely need the coffee and you simply do not have time to drink them separately. It could be better if the coffee is iced, but I was too scared to try again during this experiment.

Naked Juice 

juice, vegetable
Sydney Rosenstein

We tried Green Machine, and it coats your throat to protect you from the burn of alcohol. This one really does the trick. 10/10 would recommend.

Clif Bar

beer
Emily Waples

Worst thing I've ever experienced. Literal goose bumps all over my body. I'm not the biggest fan of Clif Bars to begin with, but the taste was just not the right one to kill the sting of the vodka. If this is all you have, do not drink. Seriously guys, listen to me on this one.

Strawberries

strawberry, chocolate
Sydney Rosenstein

These should be really amazing, all the qualities are there. But they just don't cut the taste fast enough. We were really disappointed about this one. 

Fruit Cup

beer
Sydney Rosenstein
Fruit cups are so sugary and delicious that you'll forget you just took a shot. This is definitely not as healthy as just going for the fruit, but it works just as well, if not better than the all-natural fruit.

Watermelon

watermelon, melon, sweet, vegetable
 Noa Wind

This fruit works like magic. It's so juicy and so yummy. As a major plus, it'll balance out the dehydration you'll get from the alcohol. Bye, bye hangover headache!

Emergen-C

candy, sweet, dairy product, cake mix, milk, chocolate, spam, goody
Ari Richman

If you're sick and don't really have a choice, Emergen-C isn't the worst thing in the world. I would recommend a higher concentration than the package suggests because otherwise it will be too watery and won't do much for you. 

Peanut Butter

peanut butter, butter, spread, coffee
Jen Reynolds

If you're taking a shot with peanut butter, you're probably too drunk to remember it, so don't worry about it. 

Italian Ice

ice, strawberry, sorbet
Dan Dao

Honestly anything ice cold is the best. A cold chaser matched with fresh-out-the-freezer vodka is hard to match. This might honestly be my favorite, not always the easiest to come by, but when it's there, it works wonders.

Just like any other chaser though, if you have a bad experience it might ruin it for you. So whether you're knocking back shots of Grey Goose at a fancy dinner party, or chugging Taaka out of a red cup, now you know the best and worst ways to do it. And remember, always drink responsibly.